downloading mp3s

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
what is a god program to dl mp3 for mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenrc51 View Post

what is a god program to dl mp3 for mac?

For commercial music, use iTunes, buy the song, then convert it from AAC to MP3 by first burning to a disc.

For freely distributed music, use your favorite browser.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kenrc51kenrc51 Posts: 31member
    well we all know you can buy music from itunes, but that gets expensive. Is there a program to dl free music? like napster?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:

what is a good program for stealing music?

Fixed your question for you
  • Reply 4 of 13
    use iTunes for sure!

• Reply 5 of 13
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Fixed your question for you

It's not stealing if it's "free"
  • Reply 6 of 13
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

It's not stealing if it's "free"

So you are telling me all the "free music" I stole when Napster was around was really free and I don't have to feel guilty any more?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    kennywrxkennywrx Posts: 141member
    They have always charged for the high quality CD encoded @ 1,411 kbps. Back when napster was free (and legal), 128-320 kbps degraded files were free. Now they charge the same or more for 128-320 kbps files. I'll stay with the CDs.

At 192 kbps, they should charge, at most, $1 for every 7 songs... if they want to keep things fair. After all... you should get what you paid for right? Unless of course, they are the ones who are ripping people off.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

They have always charged for the high quality CD encoded @ 1,411 kbps. Back when napster was free (and legal), 128-320 kbps degraded files were free. Now they charge the same or more for 128-320 kbps files. I'll stay with the CDs.

At 192 kbps, they should charge, at most, $1 for every 7 songs... if they want to keep things fair. After all... you should get what you paid for right? Unless of course, they are the ones who are ripping people off.

Except that I (and I'd guess most folks) can't hear the difference between a CD origional, and 128 mp3. Especially on the crappy radio in my cars or over the crappy earbuds i use with the iPods.

So the music on a CD and the mp3's are worth the same thing to me regardless of the "theoretical" quality.

But I also like having the physical media in my possession, so I buy CD's.

p.s. Downloading commercial music for "free" is illegal/immoral regardless of your personal justifications.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
  • Reply 10 of 13
    kenrc51kenrc51 Posts: 31member
    i use this program on my pc. Some times when i download a song, it seems like the song is a corupted file and it does not play or it keep repeating 3 secs of the song for the whole track duration. Does that mean its a virus?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

i use this program on my pc. Some times when i download a song, it seems like the song is a corupted file and it does not play or it keep repeating 3 secs of the song for the whole track duration. Does that mean its a virus?

No. It's likely it's a fake song planted by the artists, the labels, or some other concerned party to discourage piracy.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...piracy.

Is that another word for "stealing" ? Or are they trying to discourage people from saying "Argghhh!"
  • Reply 13 of 13
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Is that another word for "stealing" ? Or are they trying to discourage people from saying "Argghhh!"

No! It just makes people feel better if they can wear a patch over one eye while they are stealing!