Buying an MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was planning on getting an macbook but if I get it with 2GB memory can I then but another 2gigs in the future and install it? so i'd have 4? I have a PC and am always using a bunch of programs at once for example: Photoshop, firefox, itunes, bitlord, soulseek etc.. Will I need the 4 gigs. I don't think I will at first but it will over time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    if you bought your machine with 2gb of ram it'll be installed in pairs 2x1gb sticks, you'd need to buy 2 x 2gb sticks to make it 4gb
  • Reply 2 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G.K. View Post

I was planning on getting an macbook but if I get it with 2GB memory can I then but another 2gigs in the future and install it? so i'd have 4? I have a PC and am always using a bunch of programs at once for example: Photoshop, firefox, itunes, bitlord, soulseek etc.. Will I need the 4 gigs. I don't think I will at first but it will over time.

No. The MBs come with 2x1gb sticks. You'll need 2x2gbs sticks to get to 4 gbs.

Installing RAM on the MB is easy and 4 gbs isn't to expensive. I believe if you shop around you'll get some for less than $100.

You'll probably benefit greatly from 4 gbs if you like having lots of apps open and use ps.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    g.k.g.k. Posts: 3member
    So I could use RAM that isn't made for MAC or by apple? And if I did go with two now and buy some later then will it be difficult?

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:

So I could use RAM that isn't made for MAC or by apple? And if I did go with two now and buy some later then will it be difficult?

Thanks

MacBook is plenty easy. I recommend going to OWC (Other World Computing). They have great ram, low prices, but most important is they have video instructions on what to do to replace ram (and hard drives). You can take a look at the video and see just how easy it is. Just Google it and go.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Thanks

Installing RAM is not difficult on the Macbook.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    g.k.g.k. Posts: 3member
    Great thanks for the help