Lighted keyboard, if only...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is more of a wish...

It would be nice if Apple would make a lighted keyboard (similar to the one the MBA has) for use with their other machines. I can't type to save my life, and I hate turning on a light just to see the keyboard. I looked around and couldn't find any after market companies that made a lighted Mac keyboard. Anybody know of one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I agree. I would think a company like Apple would put a lighted keyboard on all of their laptops and not treat this like a luxury/pro item.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I agree. I would think a company like Apple would put a lighted keyboard on all of their laptops and not treat this like a luxury/pro item.

Why leave it just to laptops? If backlighting is a good idea on a laptop keyboard, why not on a desktop keyboard, too.

As with so many other Apple products, I find their range of keyboards so frustrating. They are so close to perfect, but they've left a few things out:

1.) Why is there no backlight option for both wired and wireless keyboard?

2.) Why doesn't Apple sell an optional recharge dock/station for the wireless keyboard?

3.) Why doesn't Apple make a wireless keyboard with an integrated trackpad? (If you've a Mac in the living room and are sitting on the sofa, where do you put a wireless mouse? A trackpad integrated into the keyboard would be a much better solution.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    My keyboard is close enough to my monitor I can see it perfectly in the dark because it's lit by the monitor. 2 feet away.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

...sitting on the sofa, where do you put a wireless mouse?

While I like the trackpad idea, Apple's mouse tracks just fine on my thigh, or on the leather sofa, or on the arm of the la-z-boy, even on the carpet, so... it's not too big of a problem.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

While I like the trackpad idea, Apple's mouse tracks just fine on my thigh, or on the leather sofa, or on the arm of the la-z-boy, even on the carpet, so... it's not too big of a problem.

Don't know about yours, but my thigh doesn't exactly make for a large mousing area

Many sofas aren't really flat/stiff enough to mouse on, and sometimes, you know, there's people sitting on it. People don't make good mouse mats.

The arm of a piece of furniture tends not to be as big as one would like for mousing purposes.

The floor is an awkward place if you're sitting on the sofa/in a chair.

Yes, it's possible to use a wireless mouse in the living room, but it's far from the ideal solution. What happens if you want to get up and walk around a bit whilst using your keyboard/mouse? Uh-oh, now you have nowhere to mouse. But if your keyboard has an integrated trackpad? No problem.

A wireless mouse is well suited to a situation where you've got a decent amount of desk area to use the mouse. For living-room use, a version of the wireless keyboard with a built-in trackpad would be a much better solution.