New iMacs in retail system; 3G iPhone redesign rumor; 3G's "D-Day"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's upcoming iMac has made a tentative appearance in US retail channel systems. Meanwhile, one rumor has the 3G iPhone receiving both GPS and a significant visual update, an analyst calls WWDC's opening "D-Day" for new iPhone models, and the latest SDK for the handset may allow background apps.

iMac refresh entering retail tracking systems

Following a recent Geeksugar report, details of Apple's first update to the aluminum iMac have filtered into retail, AppleInsider has heard.

A memo distributed among some of Apple's stateside channel partners this week has reportedly provided a heads-up on the refresh, informing them that the changes will primarily touch on the systems' processors and hard drives rather than a significant redesign.

People familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider that placeholders for the new desktops have already been entered into Best Buy's inventory system. How many models will be available is unknown, although a second report indicated seven part numbers entering the system, three of which were dedicated to memory upgrade kits.

Not all resellers are being made aware of the update, however. Checks with multiple American suppliers show them to have ample stock of all existing iMacs save for the Core 2 Extreme version, while the only clue from other regions is a mention from Ingram Micro's European division, which was told without warning that it could order current iMacs with a greater than normal discount.

Apple never slashes prices for resellers without specific reasons, European sources note.

New 3G iPhone rumor claims GPS, flush audio jack

Escalating the already rampant speculation about an iPhone with third-generation cellular Internet access, Engadget on Friday claimed to have new information regarding the Apple device from a "trusted source" who has used the future handheld.

The new iPhone will have the expected 3G access, but should also have a "proper" GPS receiver that lets it track map data in real time, the alleged tipster says. Apple will also have addressed complaints of the recessed headphone jack limiting choices and is now believed to have placed the jack flush with the outside, allowing any standard earphone set to work properly.

Cosmetically, the phone is said to resemble a purportedly leaked image released by iPod Observer that shows the anodized aluminum back replaced with a glossy black case. The volume switch is also now chrome.

Apple's refresh is "slightly" thicker and more rounded than the 0.44-inch thick model sold today, the report adds, but will otherwise be fairly similar.

The rumor goes against prevailing expectations, however, by suggesting that Apple may not ship or even announce the 3G update until July. This clashes with analyst predictions of the phone's debut at WWDC in June, many of which have been triggered by promotional discounts for the iPhone in Europe.

However, the mention of mapping technology supports claims that Apple's iPhone SDK has contained GPS references inside its emulation code that would only be applicable to actual hardware, and not simply Apple's data-based triangulation method used today.

Analyst: WWDC is 3G iPhone's "D-Day"

Likening Apple's phone efforts to a famous World War II beach invasion, Citi analyst Richard Gardner this week called Apple's Worldwide Developer conference the "D-Day" for a 3G iPhone that would also begin an "impressive wave" of new products.

This would include not just the next-generation firmware and software development kit but also a hectic update schedule over the three months following the developer event.

"We expect a complete refresh of the laptop and iPod lines," Gardner says. "The SDK should [also] yield hundreds of compelling iPhone/iPod touch third-party apps for by [sic] Christmas."

Citi's researcher also predicts good fortune for Apple through a "tailwind" of cheap memory and other components, though cautions that gross margins may be smaller in the near term as Apple may have bought some memory prematurely at the end of last year, missing out on an important price cut.

iPhone SDK beta may contain hooks for background apps

Further exploration of Apple's newest iPhone SDK beta appears to contain program calls that could be used for running third-party applications in teh background, TUAW reports.

Methods are included in the UIApplication delegate class that refer to both enabling and giving up status as the active application -- a technique used in many programs to keep them running but change certain behaviors when the app gains primary focus.

Apple's guidelines for iPhone development have so far barred background use for all but its own software, effectively ruling out instant messaging clients and other software that depends on constant activity.

Such rules aren't known to have changed with the latest SDK release but would conflict with these code changes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone SDK beta may contain hooks for background apps

Further exploration of Apple's newest iPhone SDK beta appears to contain program calls that could be used for running third-party applications in teh background, TUAW reports.

Methods are included in the UIApplication delegate class that refer to both enabling and giving up status as the active application -- a technique used in many programs to keep them running but change certain behaviors when the app gains primary focus.

Apple's guidelines for iPhone development have so far barred background use for all but its own software, effectively ruling out instant messaging clients and other software that depends on constant activity.

Such rules aren't known to have changed with the latest SDK release but would conflict with these code changes.

I think Apple is just being cautious, and wants developers to get used to iPhone development before they allow them too much freedom, to make sure everything gets off to a smooth start. If they let people do anything they want from the get-go, it might result in occasional poor usage of background functions, which could cause a hit to the iPhone's stability or speed, and bad PR. I think they'll probably relax their limitations eventually, once the attention around the app store dies down and developers start to get the hang of the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Cosmetically, the phone is said to resemble a purportedly leaked image released by iPod Observer that shows the anodized aluminum back replaced with a glossy black case. The volume switch is also now chrome.

Apple's refresh is "slightly" thicker and more rounded than the 0.44-inch thick model sold today, the report adds, but will otherwise be fairly similar.

Could that be a zirconia back instead of the old aluminum style.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    dp123dp123 Posts: 17member
    I wouldn't be surprised by an announce/reveal at WWDC (with possibly pre-orders) and shipment following at the end of the month, early July. Apple can postpone and keep some secrecy with the FCC, but ultimately the FCC is going to release its certification. I think Jobs will always want to trump them/keep the reveal for himself.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I see another MW 2008 disappointment for WWDC this year. Expectations are too high.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I see another MW 2008 disappointment for WWDC this year. Expectations are too high.

It really doesn't matter what Apple announces during their planned keynotes, there will still be the same muppets trying to drown out any good news with their disappointed chatter.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

Could be actually. Glossy plastic strikes me and something that would look very cheap. I'd be highly highly surprised if the whole back was glossy plastic.

This is what black zirconia looks like.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    blascockblascock Posts: 153member
    Thicker? Same screen?... Lame. I wanted thinner wit OLED...
  • Reply 8 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

Thicker? Same screen?... Lame. I wanted thinner wit OLED...

Not thinner. When Apple can get a solid 12 hours of 4G use out of it then they can make it thinner.

OLED would be great. Do we know how much such a panel would cost?
  • Reply 9 of 102
    No matter what features the iPhone delivers, there will be people that want more. Removable battery, unbreakable glass, smudgeproof case, LED flash, OLED display, etc. It doesn't matter if the iPhone is overall far better than any other smartphone on the market, they'll find many things inadequate and the griping will continue. Eff 'em I say. iPhone 2.0 FTW.

BTW, has anyone heard about whether it will have copy and paste functions?
  • Reply 10 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not thinner. When Apple can get a solid 12 hours of 4G use out of it then they can make it thinner.

OLED would be great. Do we know how much such a panel would cost?

I'd pay an extra $100 for an OLED screen, and it wouldn't even cost that.
  • Reply 11 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

BTW, has anyone heard about whether it will have copy and paste functions?

Copy and paste is a software feature, not a 2G phone feature. Don't ask me why in the heck they are not adding it. I already told them what to do with the loupe 4 months ago for copying and pasting text.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd pay an extra $100 for an OLED screen, and it wouldn't even cost that.

I'd pay an extra $200 for a one inch thick iPhone that has enough battery for 24+ hours of "interneting" while listening to music, taking calls and with the brightness to full.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Copy and paste is a software feature, not a 2G phone feature. Don't ask me why in the heck they are not adding it.

I think his iPhone 2.0 comment is referring to the OS.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Wow... thicker iphone... What about better camera.... I cant wait that long ><
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Quote:

Is that a quote or is that how you spell "the"? (4th last word by the way)
  • Reply 15 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Teh background FTW!
  • Reply 16 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

Good catch.

I just checked the Wiki entry on Zirconia, and they actually cite the Apple patent.

Any materials technology types know if Zirconia can be fabricated with color, as opposed to color being applied after the fact?

A tough, lightweight ceramic material with no external coating to scratch off and radio transparency really does seem like it would be ideal for a handheld device using antennas.

Must be some stumbling blocks to getting it to work, though, or we would have seen it by now. Brittle when thin? Easily scratched? Too much of a heat insulator?
  • Reply 17 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Good catch.

I just checked the Wiki entry on Zirconia, and they actually cite the Apple patent.

Any materials technology types know if Zirconia can be fabricated with color, as opposed to color being applied after the fact?

A tough, lightweight ceramic material with no external coating to scratch off and radio transparency really does seem like it would be ideal for a handheld device using antennas.

Must be some stumbling blocks to getting it to work, though, or we would have seen it by now. Brittle when thin? Easily scratched? Too much of a heat insulator?

That is pretty cool. I though the Zirconia talk was just wishful thinking and not something that Apple could pull out of it's hat.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

No matter what features the iPhone delivers, there will be people that want more. Removable battery, unbreakable glass, smudgeproof case, LED flash, OLED display, etc. It doesn't matter if the iPhone is overall far better than any other smartphone on the market, they'll find many things inadequate and the griping will continue.

The removable battery is something I sure as heck will not stop griping about until they start having it in both the iPhone and the iPod lines. There is no excuse for this to not have been there in the first place.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

The removable battery is something I sure as heck will not stop griping about until they start having it in both the iPhone and the iPod lines. There is no excuse for this to not have been there in the first place.

There are valid excuses why Apple doesn't allow it.

1) Lithium batteries are not alkaline batteries, therefor not in need of frequent changing. And in most cases never.

2) Adding a battery cover requires additional engineering which adds complexity and cost to the design while increasing its thickness and potentially lowering the durability

3) Apple can make things the way they to. (Of course, you don't have to like it either).
  • Reply 20 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are valid excuses why Apple doesn't allow it.

1) Lithium batteries are not alkaline batteries, therefor not in need of frequent changing. And in most cases never.

2) Adding a battery cover requires additional engineering which adds complexity and cost to the design while increasing its thickness and potentially lowering the durability

3) Apple can make things the way they to. (Of course, you don't have to like it either).

I would just add, Bsenka, you'll be griping till the sun caves in, because Apple is never going to put a user replaceable battery in the iPhone or Touch. Their position on this is going to become more justified, not less, as time goes on, because batteries are going to get better and better.

In fact, don't be surprised if other manufacturers don't start following suit.