sharing too many files, how to stop

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm having some trouble with sharing files from my Mac. On my network is my Macbook, a Vista machine and an XP machine. I managed to get them all connected just fine, but the problem is that from my two windows computers I can see *all* of my Mac's files. I literally see a folder called "Macintosh HD" which is the / directory. This is kinda nice while I'm at home, but I'm very paranoid about when I go on public networks that my Mac is wide open. I'm not logging into my Mac from the windows machines, it never asks for a login.

I really am not certain what I'm doing wrong. In the Sharing Preferences, I only have File Sharing checked. The only listed shared folder is my Public Folder, where I have Read & Write, Users have Write Only (Drop Box) and Everyone has No Access.

In Options I have AFP and SMB enabled, AFP was enabled by default and I enabled SMB due to some instructions on getting Vista to see my Mac.

I'm probably missing something stupidly obvious here, but can anyone help?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    probably you log in from windows using your administrator username. you should create a guest account, so you can control exactly what you want to share. you may even create a special account for your network with easy password like: name="guest", pass="guest" just to share unimportant files..