iPod help - Save a Mac Convert

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A friend of mine has been warming up to the idea of buying a Mac. I finally got him to buy an iPod a little while back, and while he loved it initially the device has since turned sour for him. Basically a few months ago his video's (podcasts, movies, etc) all display a black screen with a progress bar, but no audio. Early this week that problem is now coupled by the fact that he can no longer hear music playing. Same deal, progress bar plays but nothing is audible.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a feeling I'm about to take a huge leap back in getting him to buy a Mac if this device is dead w/o hope.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyko95 View Post

A friend of mine has been warming up to the idea of buying a Mac. I finally got him to buy an iPod a little while back, and while he loved it initially the device has since turned sour for him. Basically a few months ago his video's (podcasts, movies, etc) all display a black screen with a progress bar, but no audio. Early this week that problem is now coupled by the fact that he can no longer hear music playing. Same deal, progress bar plays but nothing is audible.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a feeling I'm about to take a huge leap back in getting him to buy a Mac if this device is dead w/o hope.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Does he live anywhere near an Apple store? From what you describe, he may be able to get a new one on the spot.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    So this friend has been sitting on a defective product for several months? ... and it never occurred to him to return it for repair/replacement?

It's entirely possible that he is, in fact, too stupid to use a Mac anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So this friend has been sitting on a defective product for several months? ... and it never occurred to him to return it for repair/replacement?

It's entirely possible that he is, in fact, too stupid to use a Mac anyway.

Considering he didn't buy it for video use, it wasn't defective to him. Unless it's a for of iCancer he shouldn't have expected it to spread to other parts of the iPod. It only became an issue recently when music was effected.

And unfortunately the nearest Apple Store is over 2 hours away, plus it's outside the warranty period anyway.