1 TB HD for 2008 Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which 1 TB hard drive is best for the 2008 Mac Pro?

My primary interests are

1. Reliability

2. Running silent/cool

3. Performance

I am not particularly interested in RAID.

I have been looking at the Hitachi series, but recently saw good reviews on the Samsung F1.

I have had problems recently with Western Digital and have read that the Seagates can run loudly...

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dulcimer47 View Post

I have read that the Seagates can run loudly...

Nope, the 1tb barracuda's not as loud as hitachi's 7k1000. my2c
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dulcimer47 View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which 1 TB hard drive is best for the 2008 Mac Pro?

My primary interests are

1. Reliability

2. Running silent/cool

3. Performance

I am not particularly interested in RAID.

I have been looking at the Hitachi series, but recently saw good reviews on the Samsung F1.

I have had problems recently with Western Digital and have read that the Seagates can run loudly...

The Seagate is fine in my opinion. I have one right now in my MP. But I don't have any comparison, that's almost the only brand I use at the moment. I considered a Hitachi 1TB for it's leading speed, keep in mind that it's been tested to be louder, but not necessarily terribly so, it just depends on your preferences. The quietest 1TB is the WD Green Power series, but it's really a 5400 RPM drive or thereabouts, not a 7200, on the other end of the speed spectrum for 1TB drives.

Anyways, I think they're all good products, just that they have a different mix of trade-offs.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I should add that it doesn't matter what brand of drive you use, there's always a risk of failure. If the data is of any value to you, I highly suggest doing regular backups to a second drive. 1TB of data is hard to replace.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Does anyone have experience with the Samsung F1 series?

Any vendor recommendations?

Thanks.