What to buy right now?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, I have a opportunity to pick up a Mac today with no personal expense to me. The problem is I have a black Macbook already 2.2GHz 4 gig of RAM 160Gig HD. and the wife has a 1rst gen Black Macbook with a spazy trackpad. Otherwise her machine is fine and for $200 or so I can replace the trackpad. LOL

I was considering a MacBook Air because it would be nice to travel with but I am not sold. I am so hesitant to buy anything from Apple anymore. I picked up an iPhone and the prices dropped. I picked up a MacBook and they upped the speed and HD size less than two weeks later! Argh.

The problem is I need to decide today or tomorrow and it has to be a computer and no more than $2500. I travel a lot and when not on the road I work from an office 115 miles from home and stay at a friends house until Fridays when I go home to the wife and kids. For this reason a desktop is out of the question.

As far as usage goes, pretty much email, web, and occasionally trying to brick my iPhone. LOL

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

Okay, I have a opportunity to pick up a Mac today with no personal expense to me. The problem is I have a black Macbook already 2.2GHz 4 gig of RAM 160Gig HD. and the wife has a 1rst gen Black Macbook with a spazy trackpad. Otherwise her machine is fine and for $200 or so I can replace the trackpad. LOL

I was considering a MacBook Air because it would be nice to travel with but I am not sold. I am so hesitant to buy anything from Apple anymore. I picked up an iPhone and the prices dropped. I picked up a MacBook and they upped the speed and HD size less than two weeks later! Argh.

The problem is I need to decide today or tomorrow and it has to be a computer and no more than $2500. I travel a lot and when not on the road I work from an office 115 miles from home and stay at a friends house until Fridays when I go home to the wife and kids. For this reason a desktop is out of the question.

As far as usage goes, pretty much email, web, and occasionally trying to brick my iPhone. LOL

Problem is, if you wait too long something newer is always going to come out. When I purchase technology I don't fall down quick to replace it with something new, I will keep something until it breaks. We still have an old iMac which works amazingly well with Panther and is good enough for checking mails and such, the mac mini is now used on a TV and works wonderfully well and we still have 2+ years out of the macbook.

If you need a nice light machine to travel with then by all means I recommend the macbook air, most people who are unhappy with it have not tried one, I spent a week with one and can tell you I will be investing in a future model once my macbook dies.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Well I am torn. I tried the Air out today and was no impressed at all. I have an opportunity to pick up a 15inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz with a 320Gig HD and 4 Gig of RAM for $1000 out of my pocket. LOL It's either that or hang on the to the MacBook and hope the company doesn't ask for it back anytime soon. LOL