10.5.3 Server details; Apple updates; iPhone exclusivity in question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly winding down updates to its 10.5.3 Server update, AppleInsider has learned. Officially, Apple has released updates for iMac graphics and its Java engine in Leopard, and Microsoft has finally updated Messenger for Macs. Unofficial reports have Apple changing its mind on exclusive carrier deals, and say that iPhone users have very different tastes than BlackBerry owners.

New Leopard Server 10.5.3 seed

Similar to its progress with the client version, Apple's testing process for 10.5.3 Server is quickly coming to an end, according to people familiar with a new test build.

Labeled as build 9D25, the new seed reportedly fixes only a handful of unresolved bugs, including issues with the Mail and Web Server components, the Server Assistant, and Slapconfig.

Those aware of the update also tell AppleInsider that developers have been asked to center their testing primarily around these areas as well as multiple server manager components, Directory functions, and servers for both podcasting and Wikis.

Apple is still expected to finalize and release 10.5.3 for users within the next two weeks.

iMac ATI Radeon HD Graphics Firmware Update 1.0.1

Apple has issued version 1.0.1 of its ATI Radeon HD firmware update (848KB) for its new iMacs released yesterday.

The minor fix increases system stability for systems using either the Radeon HD 2400 XT or Radeon HD 2600 Pro, the company says.

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1

Also launched is Update 1 for Leopard's Java engine (57MB).

The upgrade installs Java SE 6 1.6.0_05 for all compatible Macs, bringing them up to date with the more recent codebase. The update doesn't replace J2SE 5 or override earlier Java preferences.

Microsoft releases Messenger for Mac 7 with video

Ending a relatively long quiet period of development, Microsoft on Thursday released Messenger for Mac 7.

Video support is the highlight of the update, the company explains. Although currently limited to corporate environments, the feature allows multi-user audio and video chats and is the first in the Mac history of the product.

All users also receive support for automatically finding other Windows Live users through Bonjour local networking, a contact list search function, and the ability to rename contacts.

More details on video chat for home users will be available in "coming months," Microsoft notes.

Apple rethinking exclusivity deals for Europe, Latin America?

Apple could break from its current practice of choosing an exclusive carrier when it brings the iPhone south of the US, the Spanish-language business paper Cinco Dias reports.

The California electronics giant is reportedly having doubts after witnessing poor sales in Europe, which have often seen customers unlock the phones themselves for use on unsanctioned carriers.

Alleged sources close to negotiations say the company may allow the phone to be sold through multiple providers in Latin American nations. This is likely due to the different cellular service climate in the region, according to the paper: while large carriers like Telefonica Movil dominate in some countries, they only hold on to minority shares in others.

Future European deals may also see Apple breaking its mould, the report adds. Discussions with Telefonica in Spain have been ongoing for months, while Apple may use Italy as a testbed and include more than just Telecom Italia as a provider.

Apple has declined comment on the claims, but earlier this year made it clear that the company isn't married to its one-carrier-per-country model.

Study: iPhone, BlackBerry appeal to very different audiences

Although they compete in the same market, the iPhone and BlackBerry lines appeal to two very distinct groups of users, a new study from ChangeWave finds.

Users of Apple's touchscreen device typically skew towards its interface. About 36 percent of respondents who use an iPhone most like the overall integration of the iPod, phone, and web functions, while 27 percent like the touchscreen interface specifically and 16 percent talk up its overall ease of use.

BlackBerry owners, however, are almost exclusively devoted to e-mail. A full 56 percent of users cite e-mail as the appeal of their devices, with virtually all other factors falling well under the 10 percent mark -- including the physical keyboard, at 5 percent.

What users complain about also varies sharply, the researchers point out. Despite its reputation, RIM's BlackBerry is more likely to generate complaints about its keyboard (11 percent of users), especially on the small Pearl series. Among iPhone owners, the most common yet unique complaint is being locked to AT&T in the US, with the lack of copy-and-paste text coming next.

Both are united in their dislike of being limited to slow EDGE data speeds with GSM-based versions of their devices, ChangeWave says.

As much as iPhone advocates may enjoy their devices, however, the group is also much more likely to draft wish lists for a new model. About 19 percent of users want 3G Internet speeds, with 18 percent seeking third-party native programs and 15 percent hoping for GPS navigation. Business e-mail support and voice dialing come next at 10 and 8 percent respectively.

Most of these features are likely to be resolved in June, when Apple is predicted to launch its 3G handset and new iPhone firmware.

BlackBerry users, by contrast, are said to be conservative and have little to demand.

"The bottom line for RIM [BlackBerry] owners continues to be, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it,'" ChangeWave observes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ChangeWave... always ahead of the curve...
  • Reply 2 of 39
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Let me know when 10.5.3 Retail is released. Otherwise, this is "we have no news" to pay for our time.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Let me know when 10.5.3 Retail is released. Otherwise, this is "we have no news" to pay for our time.

If you don't want to read about 10.5.3, don't read the articles. I want to know about development and I definitely consider it news.

Keep them coming.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    When I read the new MSN supported video, I urged to download it. Big was my disappointment when I saw it doesn't count for my "personal" account, and even bigger was my disappointment when I saw they changed nothing about the general interface of the program. This thing is uuuuuugly. Alos unnecessary clutter on smaller screens. On my Macbook, I think the Adium people every day for the option of making my contacts list so tiiiiiiiny and putting all my chats in one tabbed window.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Indeed, still eagerly awaiting 10.5.3 - enough with the "within 2 weeks" that we've had for the last two weeks .

Messenger 7 is interesting - I've just installed and not much seems different. Video ... well there are no visible menu options for it, but searching in the help menu shows that there should be a couple - maybe a corruption from previous version preferences hmmm.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

BlackBerry users, by contrast, are said to be conservative and have little to demand.

"The bottom line for RIM [BlackBerry] owners continues to be, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it,'" ChangeWave observes

Both these statements demonstrate a devout ignorance. I love both, but they serve very different purposes. For enterprise use nothing beats the BlackBerry for the very reasons enterprise exists (BTW, I am quite demanding). And the bloody arse statement, "it ain't broke, don't fix it," is so incredibly insipid that it defines the idiot at ChangeWave who said it. I believe that Apple should be more concerned about further refining their iPhone versus going after a well established market that is doing quite well without Apple. Choices are what make consumers happy.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Java 6.0 only works in 64bit browsers. So good for Firefox, useless for Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple often releases several minor updates a few days before releasing a 'major' update, so the Java update might indicate that 10.5.3 is coming soon (given that there also have been multiple 10.5.3 seeds over the last two weeks), but then again it is just an increased likelihood not a determining condition.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    jcgnujcgnu Posts: 11member
    Messenger 7.0 sucks!!! It is exactly the same thing... wait, no, here's what changed:

1. Contact search bar.

2. Bonjour friends (don't even know what I gain with this)

3. Slightly different icon.

That's it!!! Nothing else... Video is only for enterprises... Not even nicknames!!! Nicknames for god's sake!!!!! That's like the simplest thing in the world... Well, they didn't even add that...

Anyway, some people would tell me: well, download Adium, but I think it is almost the same, just a few different things...

Stupid Microsoft... So many years without an update, and all you could do was 3 little canges that I could have even done myself?!!!!! Damn...
  • Reply 10 of 39
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    And the first thing I did was work out how to turn off points 1 and 2.

Video only for enterprise - as in the corporate account option? Oh.

As for nicknames, you can now right-click on friends and say 'Add Nickname', which you couldn't in 6.0.3, if that's what you mean.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

As much as iPhone advocates may enjoy their devices, however, the group is also much more likely to draft wish lists for a new model. About 19 percent of users want 3G Internet speeds, with 18 percent seeking third-party native programs and 15 percent hoping for GPS navigation. Business e-mail support and voice dialing come next at 10 and 8 percent respectively.

Most of these features are likely to be resolved in June, when Apple is predicted to launch its 3G handset and new iPhone firmware.

I am curious--How many people expect the June 3G iPhone to have full GPS capabilities? For me, it would make a difference: I would find a way to pay for an iPhone + GPS and I wouldn't feel guilty about breaking the budget.* But is it really coming?

*Maybe I will count on my 1GHz TiBook to last another year... (Oh the horror!)
  • Reply 12 of 39
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    A word of caution for the iMac Graphics update it is only for imacs showing Model Identifer: iMac8,1

And this is from imacs from early 2008 which is BS as I have an early 2008 imac from feb 2008 and it doesn't work.

After a call to apple it seems there maybe an installer bug which is stopping it being applied for quite a few people.

As for Java 6 it installed without problems not really sure what is changes yet but will test soon.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Blackberry users, by contrast, have little to demand... that is until they see what a smart phone could be?!

C'mon Apple App Store!!!
  • Reply 14 of 39
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I believe that Apple should be more concerned about further refining their iPhone versus going after a well established market that is doing quite well without Apple. Choices are what make consumers happy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Both these statements demonstrate a devout ignorance.

So Apple shouldn't enter RIM's area of expertise because RIM has a well established market, but due to lack of choice is full of malcontents. Yet choices make consumers happy but you don't want Apple to enter into RIM's market? I'm so confused??
  • Reply 15 of 39
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I don't know what MS is thinking by not adding video chatting support to the Messenger! do they think that they can pressure users to switch back to Windows by making their life a more difficult?! Anyway, I am using Messenger on Parallels to chat with my family and friends who don't have a Mac.

It is almost impossible to find a cross platform chat client the support video and audio chatting these days.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't know what MS is thinking by not adding video chatting support to the Messenger! do they think that they can pressure users to switch back to Windows by making their life a more difficult?! Anyway, I am using Messenger on Parallels to chat with my family and friends who don't have a Mac.

It is almost impossible to find a cross platform chat client the support video and audio chatting these days.

there is only ONE mac client that provides video chat with msn users: mercury messenger, a java client that is by no means pretty, but it works.... http://www.mercury.im
  • Reply 17 of 39
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    " the iPhone and BlackBerry lines appeal to two very distinct groups of users"

"The bottom line for RIM [BlackBerry] owners continues to be, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it,'" ChangeWave observes.

These two quotes say it all.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You could find out easily what they are thinking by reading their blog:

http://www.officeformac.com/blog/Mes...-Now-Available

Quote:

Speaking of Audio and Video support, in the blog post "A Chat about Messenger", posted back in November, I shared with you background information on why AV is not available yet in the Personal service. We are on track with the plan mentioned in the last post, as we are delivering Audio and Video on Corporate service first. We are making progress and working on the delivery of Audio and Video for the personal service and are looking forward to getting the feature out there and in your hands as soon as we can!

• Reply 19 of 39
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imjeffro View Post

Java 6.0 only works in 64bit browsers. So good for Firefox, useless for Safari.

So, you are saying that Safari does not work with 64-bit chips? There is no Safari for a G5 Mac or most of the Intel Macs?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    jcgnujcgnu Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

And the first thing I did was work out how to turn off points 1 and 2.

Video only for enterprise - as in the corporate account option? Oh.

As for nicknames, you can now right-click on friends and say 'Add Nickname', which you couldn't in 6.0.3, if that's what you mean.

Yeah, that and also that it should already know the nicknames I've given to all my contacts... just as it does it in Windows...

Still, I don't have that... Maybe cause my version is in Spanish... But I tried to download the English version 3 times, and it downloads de Spanish version... I have no idea why.