What are you buying with your stimulus check?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I got my check yesterday! $1500 directly deposited.

What I really want is a new MB/MBP but I just can't justify it yet. I'm thinking maybe reading about other people's purchaces will give me some sort of vicarious satisfaction...

Actually, I am hoping not to spend ours at all--we need to increase our rainy-day fund (flour fund?). However, I have avowed that I will get an iPhone if the 3G version has real GPS. This check would make that purchase seem less painful...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Using it to help pay my quarterlies.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    our government decided it was far better to give our tax money directly back to the very people who through complete greed, incompetance and foolishness lost all the money in the first place. The banks.

So in 20 years time, when this happens all over again, the banks will be thinking to themselves, hmm it doesn't matter if we completely screw up and lose the money of the millions of people who have worked and saved half their life, because we'll get the money back from those very same people.

Thus screwing over the same people twice!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

our government decided it was far better to give our tax money directly back to the very people who through complete greed, incompetance and foolishness lost all the money in the first place. The banks.

Oh, don't worry, we did that too.

Our Bear Stearns to your Northern Rock -- loooooov it -- love it!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    How many people will use it to pay credit card debt with 20%+ interest, or get tempted to buy something they don't need, and remain in crippling, mounting debt? This is a stimulus package for the credit card companies.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It's our duty as good little citizens to buy things with it.

But seriously, I'm putting it in the bank, specifically, opening up a new bank account for my daughter.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    You got $1500!? I thought it was $600. Plus when does it come out? I haven't gotten anything yet.

I'm putting mine in my savings account.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    just like governement to have "drinking buddies" and teach us to spend more debt, i'd just give it back or donate it to a church.

geee i thought the deficit was a problem, i quess not enough of a problem in an election year.

most are just sheep

total waste....
  • Reply 8 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I should be getting $900 shortly. I did my return with direct deposit and already got my regular refund, so I'm thinking I should have the stimulus this week. Mine is going into savings. I suppose part of it will go to a 3G iphone when it comes out.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    My friend was incredulous when I told him that the $600 he's getting is just an advance on his 2008 refund.

He's one of those people that counts on every dime of his refund to make it through.

He thought it was free money!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

My friend was incredulous when I told him that the $600 he's getting is just an advance on his 2008 refund.

He's one of those people that counts on every dime of his refund to make it through.

It is free money. It's not just an advance on what you would have gotten, it's an advance tax cut on what you would normally have to pay next year. It's an advance, but the tax cut is new.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

That's silly. Everyone can get an advance on their refund by not paying more tax then you need to.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...=96196,00.html
  • Reply 12 of 13
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

You got $1500!? I thought it was $600. Plus when does it come out? I haven't gotten anything yet.

600 for me

600 for my wife

300 for the kid

----

$1500

I got mine the day before I posted, so I guess it was May2. Direct deposit. I filed my 2007 return rather early, so that may have helped

Quote:

I'm putting mine in my savings account.

that is where mine is now... We shall see for how long! iPhone...MBP...AAPL so many things to buy!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

I thought that for a while too, but it seems to be not that simple. Of course, we are going to have to pay for it sometime, but it isn't just coming out of our 2008 tax returns. Who knows how they will make up for the billions it will cost.

But it doesn't make sense to worry about that when budgeting this cash--there is a lot of our debt that is hanging over us and this will be just another part of it...