Password reset on imac with Power Mac install disk

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can i reset the computer password on a iMac running 10.4 with a 10.4 install disk for a Power Mac G5?

i insert the disk while starting up & hold down the C key?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    well i found out the hard way, you have to have a regular or imac specific 10.4 install disk to launch from the cd. called apple support after it didn't work on the power mac g5 cd. Apple is sending me a 10.4 install disk in the mail....
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaverickSVT View Post

well i found out the hard way, you have to have a regular or imac specific 10.4 install disk to launch from the cd. called apple support after it didn't work on the power mac g5 cd. Apple is sending me a 10.4 install disk in the mail....

You can reset the password with your PowerMac disc, as long as the iMac is one of the G4 or G5 models. As long as the disc is made for the same processor architecture, and is equal to or higher than the version of the system the iMac shipped with, it will at least boot from the install disc. While you can use things like Password Reset and Disk Utility, you wouldn't be able to install Mac OS X from anything but a retail or model-specific disc.