OpenOffice.org 3.0b for Intel Macs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
get it while it's hot. It is a beta release, mind you, but at long last an official, and current, OOO port has been released.

http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It never really opened. I had to force quit it after it brought my Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of RAM to a screeching halt for several minutes, while attempting to launch the Text editor. NeoOffice is still better.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    grayshadesgrayshades Posts: 78member
    Early Alpha (and even 2.4) would cause my MBP to crash. But I had downloaded a pre-Beta 3.0 a few weeks ago, and it was much better. Haven't done anything strenuous, and now downloaded the Beta. No crashes, no glitches so far. I will continue using over the next few weeks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    So has anybody got any comments/suggestions about OO 3.0?

Judging by how swiftly Microsoft has promised to bring back VBA, they've seen SOMETHING they fear.

I'd love to see some screenshots of what it looks like on the Mac.

How long is the beta period supposed to last?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So has anybody got any comments/suggestions about OO 3.0?

Judging by how swiftly Microsoft has promised to bring back VBA, they've seen SOMETHING they fear.

I'd love to see some screenshots of what it looks like on the Mac.

How long is the beta period supposed to last?

It's pretty good so far, I like the improved Office 2007 support too (and being an Aqua app, vs X11 is a major plus).

Go to this link for screenies:

http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/...elistbeta.html
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I'm really impressed with this so far. I'm not sure that impressed is the right word to use though. I should probably say I'm not as disappointed as I usually am that a group of developers can't even get something so basic as a text editor to work with usable performance on a machine with Core 2 Duo processors and 1GB+ Ram when text editing has been done much more successfully on far slower machines.

It could still use a bit of performance improvement here and there like the delay before typing in a text document but overall, fairly snappy and faster than NeoOffice.

I'm going to have to decide between NeoOffice and OO because the apps are pretty big and I reckon I'll be going with OO.

If they add in some code optimization and better caching, perhaps faster scrolling, this will be a great application.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/

I'd give OpenOffice (free MS Office replacement) a spin. It's free, it's not Java based (I'm looking at you, Neo Office!), it's got a huge developer community behind it, and apparently there are now full time Sun engineers coding the OS X Intel port.