Can´t access .mac mail or www.mac.com

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a quite frustrating problem with my MBP.

During most of the day I am unable to send and receive .mac mail through Mail and also unable to access the .mac website and www.apple.com/support and strangely enough a certain of my favourite websites (motogpnews.com). If i leave the MBP on over night I can see that the computer have received mail during that time.

The message I am getting from Mail is that the connection to mail.mac.com port 993 (or 143) expired and server time out from mac.com.

The strange thing is that I have no problem accessing these sites from my wife´s iMac G5 which is connected to the same airport. I have tried to identify differences in settings, but haven´t found any.

I have tried shutting the iMac off and creating new network locations but with no (or temporary) success.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    .mac seems to be down for me, too. Following the links doesn't connect to it.

Mail is working fine for me, though, on several machines.

Have you tried reconfiguring you mail settings on the MBP?

Other people will likely chime in here.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    pacmanpacman Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

.mac seems to be down for me, too. Following the links doesn't connect to it.

Mail is working fine for me, though, on several machines.

Have you tried reconfiguring you mail settings on the MBP?

Other people will likely chime in here.

Yep, I have tried almost everything, including reconfiguring the mail settings, repairing the disk permissions etc. but apparently without hitting the right option. I do not believe the problem is at in the mail settings as it also affects the websites I can access from this particular computer. But thanks for you comments anyway