ERROR: the attempt to burn disc failed. the device failed to calibrate the laser....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
"the attempt to burn disc failed. the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media"

what the hell is that? i was trying to burn a music disc on itunes and that is what happened. i've never seen this before. i've owned this macbook pro for 2 years and its the first time it has occured.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    What brand of media was used?

Also does other media than the one that failed work?

I have read some brands of media play havoc with apple shipped drives.

I tend to stick to verbatium, aki-moto, TDK, Sony media and haven't seen any problems thus far.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

"the attempt to burn disc failed. the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media"

what the hell is that? i was trying to burn a music disc on itunes and that is what happened. i've never seen this before. i've owned this macbook pro for 2 years and its the first time it has occured.

Check the disc brand you're using first, but something similar just happened to my MBP -- got a similar message but only on DL discs. Single layer worked fine. Ended up being the DVD burner -- had to get it replaced -- the laser wasn't focusing for the DL media. Weird... but check as a last resort.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Check the disc brand you're using first, but something similar just happened to my MBP -- got a similar message but only on DL discs. Single layer worked fine. Ended up being the DVD burner -- had to get it replaced -- the laser wasn't focusing for the DL media. Weird... but check as a last resort.

I've been using the same media for months successfully. I had just for the first time used an aerosol duster to clean out the case due to previous heat buildup problems with the ATI 900XT GFX card. It might just be dust so I am off to Fry's to buy a DVD cleaning disc thinking somehow dust was blown on both of the super drives in my Mac Pro --an odd coincidence but certainly possible.