I'm going to the UK with Mac certification in hand

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all, just recently got my ACSP (Apple Certified Support Professional) Mac OS X Leopard 10.5. This is the one they used to call Apple "Helpdesk" certification.

I've been working at an Apple Premium Reseller in Malaysia and I'll be heading to the UK in a few weeks time.

A few questions.

What are your opinions of Apple Store London? Brent Cross? Have you tried Albion Computers, and/or PopXpress?

I'm more interested in the retail consumer side of things, I find it more interesting.

Any opinions, rants/ raves welcome. Thanks much.

BTW, I'm a Malaysian citizen, Australian permanent resident, English as first language.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    techound1techound1 Posts: 31member
    Wow, that's a pedigree!

That (plus some money) will also qualify you for Apple Consultant's Network if you want to strike out on your own.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Hey, thanks for the support. I'm looking forward to the future, it's just a pity the reseller I'm at now in Malaysia is kinda imploding big time. Still profitable, though it's the typical random just sell you stuff without knowing much.

So, on to teh future! Lol. Yeah I need to get some of the certification stuff listed online or something. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    The main thing that strikes me about the Regent Street store is that it is *constantly* busy. Busy as in absolutely swarming with people. It's a great buzz you get from being in that atmosphere with all those people, but I expect it could be pretty stressful to work there.

If you're up to the challenge, and you love to be in working in a busy environment, then you'll love it
  • Reply 4 of 9
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    If you have Australian residency, have you considered applying for the Apple retail stores to open in Sydney and Melbourne? I believe they are still considering applications and if you have a certification I'm sure you can be fast-tracked. The Sydney store will be one of their showcase stores.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

The main thing that strikes me about the Regent Street store is that it is *constantly* busy. Busy as in absolutely swarming with people. It's a great buzz you get from being in that atmosphere with all those people, but I expect it could be pretty stressful to work there.

If you're up to the challenge, and you love to be in working in a busy environment, then you'll love it

Interesting point, I'll have to scope it out. Apple Store official has several other stores in and around London. There's also Premium Resellers and Authorised Resellers... Could be intense at Regent Street, yeah.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

If you have Australian residency, have you considered applying for the Apple retail stores to open in Sydney and Melbourne? I believe they are still considering applications and if you have a certification I'm sure you can be fast-tracked. The Sydney store will be one of their showcase stores.

I'm avoiding Australia at the moment ... Sydney Apple Store is going to be off the charts though, it is a great city. Thanks for the suggestion... I'll have to see how things go in t3h Britannia.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Fair enough! I too would like to get out of Australia for a while. It's nice but something different would be good. I envy Europeans that can drive for an hour or two or jump on a cheap flight and see a completely different culture for the weekend. Australia is too isolated

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm avoiding Australia at the moment ... Sydney Apple Store is going to be off the charts though, it is a great city. Thanks for the suggestion... I'll have to see how things go in t3h Britannia.

• Reply 7 of 9
    I went to Europe in 2002 or so... It's like the future... Interesting blend of old culture and forward thinking. I guess after millennia of waging wars around the Earth something got sorted out
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hi all, just recently got my ACSP (Apple Certified Support Professional) Mac OS X Leopard 10.5. This is the one they used to call Apple "Helpdesk" certification.

How did you go about getting the ACSP?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

How did you go about getting the ACSP?

I got my brother to buy the PeachPit book http://training.apple.com/selfpaced/ for the ACSP. Read through it while playing http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php

Also Apple Malaysia did a few days of training for the exam. Did the exam a month later through Prometric (about 2 hours objective, 90 questions)...