Apple settlements: Canadian iPod credit, notebook adapter refunds

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has agreed to settlements in two longstanding class action lawsuits over allegations that earlier iPod models failed to live up to their battery claims, and that replacement adapters for some of its PowerPC notebooks were hazardous.

Canadian iPod Credit

As part of the first settlement, Apple Canada is offering $45 credits to Canadian residents who own a new first-, second- or third-generation iPod purchased before June 24, 2004.

The proposed settlement, according to The Gazette, is a result of two iPod owners suing because the built-in rechargeable battery in their iPod's would last only for about three hours after the first year of use, rather than eight hours Apple had advertised.

As many as 80,000 Canadians, including 11,310 Quebecers, could be eligible for the credit, which is good towards a future purchase at the Apple online store. Lawyers for the plaintiffs had originally sought $137.77 from Apple for a replacement battery, plus shipping and handling, $50 for inconvenience and $400 in exemplary damages.

The deal is set to be finalized in court in Montreal on May 26 and in Toronto on June 20.

Power Adapter Refund

As part of a proposed settlement in the second class-action suit, Apple has agreed to pay cash refunds of $25 to $79 to as many as 2.3 million PowerPC-based Mac notebook owners to resolve claims that some of its power adapters were prone to spark.

The Los Angeles Times reports that customers who bought certain replacement adapters for PowerBook and iBook computers are eligible for the settlement.

The suit, originally filed in 2006, alleged that Apple misrepresented problems with the power adapters, which could dangerously fray, spark and prematurely fail to work.

A hearing on final approval of the settlement is scheduled for September 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Right on. I bought a replacement power adapter for my PowerBook as I thought the cause of my battery dying was from the power adapter. Every time I plug it in to a socket it would spark at the socket. So I got a new battery and power adapter. This new adapter sparks too.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Every time I plug it in to a socket it would spark at the socket.

Isn't it the same with most equipment? I mean I've seen the 'sparking' at the plug way too many times.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I wonder how much Apple paid lawyers, for years, to defend against this.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    studiomusicstudiomusic Posts: 653member
    Ok, so how do I get my refund for the 5 adapters I have at home that are frayed and spark?

There's no way I have proof of purchase other than I have the frikin' things in my hand and I was a registered Powerbook and ibook owner.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Canadian freeloaders!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Right on. I bought a replacement power adapter for my PowerBook as I thought the cause of my battery dying was from the power adapter. Every time I plug it in to a socket it would spark at the socket. So I got a new battery and power adapter. This new adapter sparks too.

What do they mean by "dangerously frays"? My PowerBook adaptor often sparks when I plug it directly into a power outlet (ie, not using the included extension cord). But I assume the fraying they are talking about is in the cord someplace. No? I never replaced the adaptor because at the time I just chaulked it up to ComEd's notoriously "dirty" power. But if there is a dangerous defect in the adaptor itself, Apple should replace it (regardless if it's an original or replacement adaptor).
  • Reply 7 of 17
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Canadian freeloaders!

lol... i was under the impression that this only applies to Canadian customers who PAID for their apple equipment....
  • Reply 8 of 17
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

What do they mean by "dangerously frays"? My PowerBook adaptor often sparks when I plug it directly into a power outlet (ie, not using the included extension cord). But I assume the fraying they are talking about is in the cord someplace. No? I never replaced the adaptor because at the time I just chaulked it up to ComEd's notoriously "dirty" power. But if there is a dangerous defect in the adaptor itself, Apple should replace it (regardless if it's an original or replacement adaptor).

This is when using the extender that comes with the grounder. None of my other electronics i plug in spark.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Quote:

This is when using the extender that comes with the grounder. None of my other electronics i plug in spark.

Maybe its safer to use the MagSafe with the grounder instead of plugging it into the power plug because when I bought my MBP, the Apple employee ask to use the grounder instead of plugging it directly into my power plug, he mention something about no protection. I wonder if this is the cause of fried MagSafe.

Glad I have been only connecting my MagSafe using the grounder. Some people managed to fried their MagSafe in a week, yikes!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Maybe its safer to use the MagSafe with the grounder instead of plugging it into the power plug because when I bought my MBP, the Apple employee ask to use the grounder instead of plugging it directly into my power plug, he mention something about no protection. I wonder if this is the cause of fried MagSafe.

Glad I have been only connecting my MagSafe using the grounder. Some people managed to fried their MagSafe in a week, yikes!

What is this grounder? Without knowing that for sure, I don't think I can understand your post. I don't remember anything like that included with my MBP. Mind you, I bought that the summer of the first year MBPs were made.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What is this grounder? Without knowing that for sure, I don't think I can understand your post. I don't remember anything like that included with my MBP. Mind you, I bought that the summer of the first year MBPs were made.

The "grounder" they are talking about is the thick, 3-prong cord that came with your computer that can be attached to the AC adaptor (the part I called the "extension cord" above). The small two-prong (folding) adaptor doesn't include a ground wire.

Ground or not, it shouldn't cause a spark unless there is something defective in the AC adaptor. The whole purpose of having a ground is to protect you from shorts. Theoretically, if there is nothing wrong, you shouldn't need the ground. I have plenty of electronics and AC adaptors (including the one that came with my MBP) that don't have a ground wire and don't spark.

It still sounds to me like there is something wrong with the PB adaptors, and not just the replacement ones that were part of the lawsuit.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Quote:

Ground or not, it shouldn't cause a spark unless there is something defective in the AC adaptor. The whole purpose of having a ground is to protect you from shorts. Theoretically, if there is nothing wrong, you shouldn't need the ground. I have plenty of electronics and AC adaptors (including the one that came with my MBP) that don't have a ground wire and don't spark.

It still sounds to me like there is something wrong with the PB adaptors, and not just the replacement ones that were part of the lawsuit.

Yeah and I agree with you, and the grounder is the extension cord. I guess it has something to do with the cable don't have those small rounded stuff at the mag safe connector which is to reduce the interference, most laptop charger has those.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    When I was using an iBook G3, I had the same issue with the power adapter. But, called up Apple, explained the issue with the spark, Apple sent me a replacement at no cost, and had me ship the defected adapter back to Apple, also at no cost.

The spark was coming from the area where the cord (which connected to the computer from the brick) was connected to the adapter. The design itself on how that area looked is different now than what it was, which I think was the cause of the problem. Apple tech only told me to make sure that the cord wasn't being pulled when tied around the adapter's arms.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    drfundrfun Posts: 2member
    I also noticed a Spark when plugging in the power adapter with my intel MBP.

When I noticed this I decided to plug the adapter in first then plug the Mag safe to the MBP.

I was assuming the spark from the outlets was caused by the power draw the adapter takes.

As for the Freying, I also noticed were the cord connects to the adapter that the rubber shielding is coming off exposing what looks like the ground wires? This is not only with mine but also two other friends that have tis same issue. I wonder if thats what they are talking about?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I always wanted an Apple notebook and PowerPC notebook seemed to be the perfect choice for me. Good thing I started reading some reviews before buying. I don't want a laptop that can burn my entire house down by making sparks when I plug it in.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    That's 3 years too late Apple!

I had to buy 2 extra adaptors because of the badly designed adaptorcord for 100? each.

Which makes it 283USD.

The spark is not at the side where u put the socket in the wall, it's at the adaptor itself, where that way too small cable enters the adaptor. It always breaks off there+it is sunken in a bit so U can't resolder it.

If U ask me it was done deliberately to get more money out of our pockets.

I used to wrap the small cord around the adaptor 'pins' (plastic) and taped it to it to give it some slack. The new cords are better, but I still wrap them around just to be sure.

There is always a spark at the wall socket if the adaptor hasn't been connected for a while because there are condensators in the adaptor. These get filled up with electricity and will release energy when there are energy spikes in the main power net. These keep the energy for a while when disconnected, but when they're empty, the moment right before contact with the wall pins, it will pull a spark because the condensators can take energy very fast. It is not dangerous because you can't get to it with your hands, at least in europe.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I wonder how much Apple paid lawyers, for years, to defend against this.

Indeed for years, when it's too late.

I always hated apple for this evil design.

It's like having a rolls royce with wheels from a suzuki swift.