Steve Jobs to showcase OS X, iPhone platforms at WWDC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple announced Tuesday that a team of Apple executives, led by CEO Steve Jobs, will kick off the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, June 9, 2008 at San Francisco's Moscone West.

This year's WWDC will showcase two revolutionary development platforms, the ground-breaking innovations of OS X Leopard and OS X iPhone, the company said in a statement.

The five-day event, which runs from June 9 to June 13, will feature the first ever iPhone track for mobile developers with in-depth sessions and hands-on labs to fully explore the capabilities of the OS X iPhone 2.0 software, including the iPhone SDK and the App Store, a new way for developers to wirelessly deliver their applications to iPhone and iPod touch users.

The iPhone track will also enable mobile developers to work side by side with Apple engineers to create fresh applications that leverage iPhone's groundbreaking Multi-Touch user interface, animation technology, rich set of APIs, including programming interfaces for Core OS, Core Services, Media and Cocoa Touch technologies, built-in three axis accelerometer and geographical location technology to deliver truly innovative mobile applications.

Meanwhile, this year's Mac track is being organized to give newcomers and seasoned veterans alike the technical foundation and techniques needed to develop world-class OS X Leopard applications with sessions that discuss every level of the system, including interface design and implementation, application frameworks, security, localization and networking.

In total, WWDC 2008 will offer over 150 information-rich sessions and labs where Apple engineers will go in-depth on the innovative technologies that power OS X iPhone and OS X Leopard, the company said. Developers are encouraged to bring their own code to the labs and work one-to-one with Apple engineers, applying development methods and best-practices gained from sessions to enhance their applications.

Other activities at Apple's WWDC 2008 include:

presentation sessions led by engineers that provide an in-depth look at OS X iPhone, OS X Leopard and innovative tools and technologies such as the iPhone SDK, Cocoa Touch, Interface Builder, Xcode and more;practical hands-on sessions where attendees can learn Apple's own coding strategies and techniques;technology labs where attendees can work one-to-one with Apple engineers; andspecial events, including the Welcome Reception, Apple Design Awards, Lunchtime Speakers and Stump the Experts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I wonder if the App Store will be opened up to Mac? I'm sure devs at the conference would be happy to hear that.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Now that would be amazing.

Buy your Apps and never have to go to a store again for them? I would give a bucketload for that
  • Reply 3 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder if the App Store will be opened up to Mac? I'm sure devs at the conference would be happy to hear that.

Do you mean an App Store for compatible Mac software or access to the mobile OS X App Store through iTunes?

If the former, I don't think we need it; if the latter, I would think Apple would set something up that is similar to the way iPod Games are listed in the iTS.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I meant Mac apps for sale through the iTunes App Store.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I wonder if we will hear about os x 10.6 yet? Leopard is long out, the iphone sdk is long out, what's next for developers?
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:

I meant Mac apps for sale through the iTunes App Store.

Would you apply a similar pricing model to this? Like how Apple gets a percentage cut for hosting your apps?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

I wonder if we will hear about os x 10.6 yet? Leopard is long out, the iphone sdk is long out, what's next for developers?

Some say yes, but I am weary that it will happen. I think Apple will want to wait until after the iPhone 2.0 launch is successful before showcasing the next version of Mac OS X which has only been out since last October (8 months from release to WWDC).
  • Reply 7 of 69
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Does anyone think that they will announce new designs for the Macbook/Macbook Pro at WWDC or will they wait until later? Seems like a good time to me if the rumor about changing the designs over this summer that has been widely circulated is true....
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Surprise us with a new product Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Lets not go crazy now. I wonder what your definition for "long out" is?

Think about how long it will take to develop a world class OS that will be able to compete with Vista...

But seriously, these things take years and I am sure that many of the programers are still working on the 10.5.X releases to get all the bugs and flaws out.

Regardless, if you rush to talk about all the things you are *going* to have in the next OS you give the "competition" a heads up. At the same time, you risk alienating your fans if you have to cut out something you promised before you could deliver...

I say get the iPhone thing solidified and give the cats a break...
  • Reply 10 of 69
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...including programming interfaces for Core OS, Core Services, Media and Cocoa Touch technologies, built-in three axis accelerometer and geographical location technology to deliver truly innovative mobile applications.

Does this mean no GPS or is this just a hedge that covers all possibilities?
  • Reply 11 of 69
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Would you apply a similar pricing model to this? Like how Apple gets a percentage cut for hosting your apps?

If you sell your software to a store, they get a cut. If you use one of the online transaction vendors, they get a cut. Who cares?
  • Reply 12 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Does this mean no GPS or is this just a hedge that covers all possibilities?

I think we'd both write it like that to cover the different technologies, but while we've heard about the 3G chip code in the v2.0 software we've heard nothing about code for a GPS chip yet.

Personally, I don't want a GPS chip. The Google Maps location finder is more than adequate for my needs. But I am by far the minority here. Hell, i don't even want a camera on my phone.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Regardless, if you rush to talk about all the things you are *going* to have in the next OS you give the "competition" a heads up.

I've heard this excuse before from the mouth of Steve Jobs himself. I call bullsh*t. Microsoft is aiming for an '09 release of Windows 7... and I think they know they have to meet that deadline, else investors will bail. That being the case, I'm pretty sure that they'd have the feature set just about locked down by now... especially since feature-creep is what killed Vista production.

Besides, Windows 7 is to Vista as Windows XP was to Windows ME: basically the same feature set except the newer iterations are quicker, smaller, and more stable. Rumblings from Windows 7 M1 (milestone 1) users are quite positive... I'm not about to wave the flag for MS, but Apple might actually get a challenge this time... which would be a good thing in my mind. We all get better OSes out of the deal.

-Clive
  • Reply 14 of 69
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

It's too early. I doubt they're going to release anything until more is known about Windows 7.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I said few days ago that the iPhone AppStore model would be very successful for computers as well. For customer, it can save time, money, and provide better security against credit cards theft and spyware. For developers, it can save money spent on building a website, hosting, marketing, and website maintenance. Everything in one place.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Personally, I don't want a GPS chip. The Google Maps location finder is more than adequate for my needs. But I am by far the minority here. Hell, i don't even want a camera on my phone.

Not me, I want to see the GPS chip. Combine that with a good car mount, i.e., AMPS compatible, and good routing with traffic avoidance and I can dump my GPS
  • Reply 17 of 69
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It's too early. I doubt they're going to release anything until more is known about Windows 7.

Why would you think this? The featureset for 10.6 was decided a long time ago. There's a team working on it seperate from the current 10.5. I don't think people understand how large projects like these are handled. The quicker Leopard matures the faster Apple can pull a few engineers over to the 10.6 project.

Apple may or may not divulge information on 10.6. I personally think they should highlight a couple of nuggets of information because this "is" a Developers show after all. Knowing more of the OS roadmap is always preferrable than knowing less.

I think Apple delivers iPhone 2.0 and delivers at least 3 "statement" applications that get people buzzing.

They smooth out Leopard with 10.5.3 and give a couple of nuggets about 10.6 and christen it with the latest Feline name.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

I think we'd both write it like that to cover the different technologies, but while we've heard about the 3G chip code in the v2.0 software we've heard nothing about code for a GPS chip yet.

I would love a true GPS chip, but one that you can selectively turn off to save battery life.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Mac OS X 10.6 Lynx
  • Reply 20 of 69
    gunzelgunzel Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Will this be the OS that fixes the wireless problems in 10.5?