Future bus of the iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think I read somewhere that you can´t use processors that are faster than 8x the bus speed. If this is right then when the iMac is bumped it will have to be 133 processor wont it :confused: . AmIrightoramIwrong?

If I am right its just another reason to wait for the rev. b of this must-have computer (beside the one about Apple never making a perfect rev a.).

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Anders ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    My *guess* is that the PowerMacs will get the Apollo chip as a step between the G4 and the G5, running anywhere between 1.0 and 1.4-1.6 GHz (I have no clue where it'll land when released). As long as the PM's are dependent on the current bus speed, it is one of the slight advantages it still holds over the iMac, so Apple is keeping the bus speed on the iMac down on purpose.

When the G5's come out, and the Apollo gets inherited by the iMac, and maybe iBook, they'll probably have the 133MHz bus (which at that point will be slower than what's on the pro machines).

Apple did this before with notebooks - iBook didn't get bumped to 100MHz bus from 66 until Pismo was gone (remember for a while the processor speeds were similar - around 500MHz). Once the PowerBook got the advantage of the G4 processor, keeping a difference in bus speed was no longer a big issue.

-S
  • Reply 2 of 11
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>I think I read somewhere that you can´t use processors that are faster than 8x the bus speed.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This *might* apply to the processor daughter cards used by Apple, or for current G4 processors, but it's definitely not a general rule - the Celeron 1.1GHz for example has an 11x multiplier.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member

<strong>I think I read somewhere that you can´t use processors that are faster than 8x the bus speed. If this is right then when the iMac is bumped it will have to be 133 processor wont it :confused: . AmIrightoramIwrong?

If I am right its just another reason to wait for the rev. b of this must-have computer (beside the one about Apple never making a perfect rev a.).

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Anders ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

NOT TRUE. Some G3s had up to a 10x multiplier capability.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I believe that the G3 can be 10X (400mhz max for 40 mhz bus as in the 6400) the bus speed and the G4 can be 9X the bus speed.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member

<strong>I think I read somewhere that you can´t use processors that are faster than 8x the bus speed. If this is right then when the iMac is bumped it will have to be 133 processor wont it :confused: . AmIrightoramIwrong?

Wrong, I'm afraid the 7441 can be clocked at up to 16 times the system clock. (Not that I recommend trying it)

Michael
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Confirmed! New iMac bus!!!!

• Reply 7 of 11
    LOL, what's that bus's speed?

BTW, I don't see the Apollo ever being used in powermacs. It's a low power chip. What the hell does a Powermac need a low power chip for?? These Powermacs have enough fans to cool a hot plate full on inside one 'em. No, the Apollo will go in iMacs, Titaniums. G5 is set for the Powermacs.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>Confirmed! New iMac bus!!!!

That make the sentence "The Apple bus is outdated" true in two ways.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>LOL, what's that bus's speed?

Presently it is limited to 100 km/h. However we are all hoping for an upgrade
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>LOL, what's that bus's speed?

BTW, I don't see the Apollo ever being used in powermacs. It's a low power chip. What the hell does a Powermac need a low power chip for?? These Powermacs have enough fans to cool a hot plate full on inside one 'em. No, the Apollo will go in iMacs, Titaniums. G5 is set for the Powermacs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apollo, if it's scaling ok, will go in the PowerMacs as a temporary solution until the G5 is ready. Perhaps Apple would even go so far as to call that machine a G5. "Hey, it's faster than what you've got in there right now, so don't complain."
  • Reply 11 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    DDR 266 in 2003!

At some point in 2003 you may not be able to find 168 pin SDR dimms. Or, you'll be able to find them but they'll cost more than DDR dimms. At that point Apple will switch. Oh, and when the new PMs arrive, we'll probably get a small bump to 133 SDR. Is not the Apollo rumored to be designed with DDR in mind?

Not that I think Apollo is going into the PM line. I don't think it is. MAYA was ported to mac for something, and it ain't G4's. Adobe is dragging it's heels for a reason, and it ain't just their recent belt tightening. No the major players are getting ready for something big: probably a G5 in the next 3 months. Maybe as early as the end of Jan. If a special event is announced at the end of crystal-clear, we'll have our answer.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>