New iMac basically a notebook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Looking at the tech-specs I found out that the new iMac uses S0-DIMMS (notebook-hardware) and I bet that the HD is also a 2,5"-modell.

It even has the iBook's VGA-out-connector. Does it support multi-screen or mirroring only?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Mirroring only on the video out. I'm *pretty* sure that the drives are full-size. However, the video card is pretty much on the board itself - non-upgradeable, which is a pain in the ass!

-S
  • Reply 2 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by RolandG:

<strong>Looking at the tech-specs I found out that the new iMac uses S0-DIMMS (notebook-hardware) and I bet that the HD is also a 2,5"-modell.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

A 2,5" 60GB HD is mighty expensive. I hardly think Apple would use that. But notebook ram isnt as expensive as it once was. 512 mb cost almost the same for the slot loading iMac and my Pismo at Other World Computing. So desk top HD and notebook ram is a good compromise.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    3.5" HD.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I know soomeone that has an older PC that has a TNT graphics chip and his computer still runs the latest games rather well.

I have a G4 Cube and it has a 32 MB Radeon, I now bought a new iMac which has a very good 32 MB Geforce 2MX.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Obviously it isn't just a notebook, but I like the idea of the iMac and iBook constantly evolving together. Both should have the simplest form and fastest chip that is practical and save money on lack of expandibility.

Simple business plan that will work for a long time.

One thing, does anyone know the life expectancy of the LCD screens? I think historically notebooks have a longer lifespan than desktops so I suppose that the screen won't outlive the mother board.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The iMac is, not coincidentally, manufactured by Quanta. IIRC Quanta manufactures notebooks (including the PowerBook) exclusively - except for the iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The first iMac was for all intents and purposes, a PowerBook strapped to a CRT.