The Non-Warfare QE Thread

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
OK: without any of the "Apple made my OS better (the bastards)" type of comments here ...

What will you be able to do using QE you couldn't before?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by Harald:

<strong>OK: without any of the "Apple made my OS better (the bastards)" type of comments here ...

What will you be able to do using QE you couldn't before?</strong><hr></blockquote>

There may not be any new capabilities -- but the existing engine will run much faster and the whole system will perform in a smoother fashion. I suspect they specifically avoided things which are unique to QE so that all software will work regardless whether QE is in use or not.

That said, speed alone enables more things to be done in real-time that used to have slow/choppy updates.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>the existing engine will run much faster and the whole system will perform in a smoother fashion.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is it in the current build? Anybody using 10.2 care to comment? Can you tell if QE is running? Is it faster?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    The reason they did this is to increase the whizzbang factor of the entire platform, and to promote apps that can do amazing stuff despite the slow processor (such as FCP's real-time abilities that beat a PC, MHz myth or no MHz myth).

There must be others ...