Report puts 3G iPhone on store shelves by mid-June

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Consumers holding out for the next-generation of Apple Inc.'s iPhone won't have to wait till the end of June to call one their own, according to a new report which places widespread availability closer to the middle of the month.

Citing a "reliable source" familiar with the matter, popular gadget size Gizmodo is now throwing its weight behind the obvious, saying it's now a certainty that Apple will take the wraps off a so-called 3G iPhone during the start of its annual developers conference on June 9th.

More relevant, however, is the site's claim that Spaniards will be able to purchase the device during the grand opening of Telefonica's megastore in Spain a little over a week later on Wednesday, June 18th. As such, stateside availability is expected to be similar, if not preceding the Spanish launch.

Gizmodo cites the same unidentified source as saying that beginning with the arrival of a 3G model, the Apple handset will longer be available at a fixed price point in some countries

"[Its] launch will also bring new sales policies, although these have not been completely specified yet," the report states. "This most probably means the new 3G iPhone will be integrated in the usual marketing systems of carriers, with point-based trade-ups, discounts for carrier switchers, and other service-based subvention packages."

In a recent press release, Apple said chief executive Steve Jobs along with other members of the company's management would use Jobs' opening keynote address at the June developers conference to showcase the Mac OS X Leopard and iPhone development platforms, but in traditional fashion abstained from alluding to any planned major product launches.

Nevertheless, confidence in the keynote serving as a launch pad for the next-gen iPhone saw a boost earlier this month when Apple stopped taking online orders for its existing iPhone models, leading to an almost immediate sellout of company's developers conference for the first time in history.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"[Its] launch will also bring new sales policies, although these have not been completely specified yet," the report states. "This most probably means the new 3G iPhone will be integrated in the usual marketing systems of carriers, with point-based trade-ups, discounts for carrier switchers, and other service-based subvention packages."

If true, that's sad. But predictable, I suppose. The telcos are too bloody entrenched.

At least, Apple tried.\
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Isn't it about time that there be less reporting of the obvious and little more investigative reporting of the unknown features in the coming iPhone revision? I mean really, both AT&T and Apple have already said that 3G is coming - it is no longer news! We need some real dirt on the new iPhone not endless repetitions of the obvious.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Isn't it about time that there be less reporting of the obvious and little more investigative reporting of the unknown features in the coming iPhone revision? I mean really, both AT&T and Apple have already said that 3G is coming - it is no longer news! We need some real dirt on the new iPhone not endless repetitions of the obvious.

True, we're all pretty confident that there will be a 3G iPhone.

The thing we don't know for sure yet, is when it will be a) announced and b) available on the shelves. And that is what this report was about.

By the way, I don't believe in GPS support actually... you can try to put endless features in a product, the sky is the limit - theoretically. But at what cost? Bigger device (and the iPhone is already pretty fat, imo), and yet even shorter battery lifetime.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephen Paul J. View Post

By the way, I don't believe in GPS support actually... you can try to put endless features in a product, the sky is the limit - theoretically. But at what cost? Bigger device (and the iPhone is already pretty fat, imo), and yet even shorter battery lifetime.

We've already seen evidence that users will be able to turn off 3G. Odds are they'll be able to turn off GPS too. This will likely return battery life of the new unit to the range of the old one.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    I wonder if the iPhone 2.0 beta will be done by then. It's only 3 weeks away until WWDC.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I wonder if the iPhone 2.0 beta will be done by then. It's only 3 weeks away until WWDC.

I'm confident that it will be. They are likely releasing builds internally about twice a week. I imagine we will see a new developer build in the next week to two weeks.

When I worked for Apple, Mac OS 10.0 had internal developer builds of twice, sometimes three times a week prior to release in March. No doubt iPhone OS 2 follows the same cycle as this OS is crucial to the success of the iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If true, that's sad. But predictable, I suppose. The telcos are too bloody entrenched.

At least, Apple tried.\

Agreed.

It reminds me of when Pearl Jam tried to cut out Ticketmaster and their evilness...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Agreed.

It reminds me of when Pearl Jam tried to cut out Ticketmaster and their evilness...

my comment doesn't have anything to do with the article, but as i read your comment i'm listening to pearl jam's alive on pandora.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    My new Mac monitor will fit in my hand. I hope I get an incentive for switchiness from T-Mobile. I like them, but they are standing still.