MacBook material

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Why did Apple stop making titanium alloy laptops? Wasn't that a better, lighter metal than aluminum (aluminium) ?

I have a G4 tower with Lucite. It doesn't get messy like the plastic does.

It looks as good as the day I bought it 6 years ago. Why didn't Apple make other Macs using lucite? It probably wouldn't be light enough for a laptop, but I think it would make a good looking desktop. I think the Cube was lucite.?.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Why did Apple stop making titanium alloy laptops? Wasn't that a better, lighter metal than aluminum (aluminium) ?

I have a G4 tower with Lucite. It doesn't get messy like the plastic does.

It looks as good as the day I bought it 6 years ago. Why didn't Apple make other Macs using lucite? It probably wouldn't be light enough for a laptop, but I think it would make a good looking desktop. I think the Cube was lucite.?.?

For one thing the hinges on the Titanium models sucked. They broke prematurely for too many people, and it's a major repair. Titanium is also WAY more expensive than aluminum.

My Titanium G4 is still in great condition, are you interested?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

For one thing the hinges on the Titanium models sucked. They broke prematurely for too many people, and it's a major repair. Titanium is also WAY more expensive than aluminum.

Yep, my roommate snapped both hinges on his TiBook. Just opened it up one day, and crack. But I think that's more of a design problem than a materials problem.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

No, sorry. Just curious.