Time Capsule: backing up wirelessly without using it as a router

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everybody,

I have a MacPro Early 2008, connected via Ethernet to my office's network. Needless to say, I have no control on the network.

I have just received a 1 TB Time Capsule, and I would like to use it as a wireless external hard drive. I do *not* need Time Capsule to be a router, or to connect to the Internet. I just want to have it connected to my MacPro (wirelessly, or via an ethernet cable if needed) and do backups.

Do you know whether this is possible?

Thanks in advance.

Daniele

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I bought one with the exact same intentions and was unable to make it work in that capacity. I work at a university and our technology department kept insisting that the time capsule would need to connect to the network and then my imac would have to connect to that. All in all it turned into a big headache since our wireless network boots you off after a few minutes of inactivity. They could find no way for me to do what I wanted which was just use it as a wireless hard drive.

I gave up before I spent anymore time on this but it was my understanding that time capsule cannot serve as just a wireless hard drive...of course someone with more knowledge may disagree with me. In the end I would up get a 500 GB My Book Studio Edition external drive that works great.

Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmoopy.design View Post

I bought one with the exact same intentions and was unable to make it work in that capacity. I work at a university and our technology department kept insisting that the time capsule would need to connect to the network and then my imac would have to connect to that. All in all it turned into a big headache since our wireless network boots you off after a few minutes of inactivity. They could find no way for me to do what I wanted which was just use it as a wireless hard drive.

I gave up before I spent anymore time on this but it was my understanding that time capsule cannot serve as just a wireless hard drive...of course someone with more knowledge may disagree with me. In the end I would up get a 500 GB My Book Studio Edition external drive that works great.

Good luck!

I'll keep you up to date. It would be really disappointing if it is as you say.

Thanks for your answer!

Daniele
  • Reply 3 of 3
    stukdogstukdog Posts: 53member
    It can definitely be setup as just a wireless hard drive. (We have people stick them in our data center and use it for a remote backup.)

Maybe these instructions will help. (Of course, the only difference would be to leave on the wireless if you need it.)

Send me a PM if you need more info.

http://www.macminicolo.net/transport/setup.html