iPhone camera job; Vancouver store and iPhone; Logic 8.0.2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is hiring to advance the quality of the iPhone's camera. Also, Apple will open its first west coast Canadian retail store and has begun referencing iPhone for the country; an update has been issued for Logic; and refurb iPhones have returned to AT&T.

Apple hiring camera engineer for iPhone

Apple earlier this week began its search for a Lead Camera Design Engineer for the iPhone.

The hire for the company's Cupertino headquarters would study present and future CMOS camera technology with an eye to implementing it in the iPhone, making clear that the firm hopes to upgrade the camera past the 2-megapixel model in the original.

Notably, the company is also searching for an engineer who is an "expert" in image processing techniques such as auto-exposure and auto white balance -- adjustment techniques that are absent from the current iPhone, which so far limits users to as-is shots.

Vancouver Apple store to open, mentions iPhone

Apple on Wednesday confirmed the opening of Apple Store Pacific Centre, its first Canadian store to open west of Ontario.

The store will open its doors at the Pacific Centre Mall on May 24th at 10AM with Apple's customary prize giveaways.

In an unusual move, however, both the company's announcement and the official store site make references to letting customers sample and learn about the iPhone, despite no firm date having been announced for the iPhone's release in Canada. None of the four other stores in Canada make this reference.

Rogers Wireless, the official iPhone provider for the country, has remained mum on release details so far and says only that it will launch the handset later this year, though rumors have it as part of a simultaneous worldwide iPhone launch in June.

Logic 8.0.2

Pro musicians can now download Logic 8.0.2 (139MB), the latest update to Apple's audio production suite.

The fix mends customer-specific and compatibility issues and also includes updated versions of Impulse Response Utility (1.0.2) and Waveburner (1.5.2) that address problems in those specific components.

The patch requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later.

Refurb iPhone back at AT&T

After a brief drought over the past several days, AT&T's refurbished phone section is once again carrying reconditioned iPhones.

Stock, however, is dropping quickly. After early reports that both 8GB and 16GB models were available, a check on Wednesday evening reveals that AT&T has already run out of 8GB models. The 16GB version is still on sale for $350, or $150 less than its asking price when new.

The carrier has seen supplies of both fresh and refurbished iPhones dwindle rapidly in recent weeks, prompting the company to temporarily limit sales to one per customer and require a card transaction for the purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple are going to improve their iPhone camera!??

Shock horror
  • Reply 2 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Geez, I hope they improved the camera for El iPhone3G. Nyaaahhh! How's yer 10 million sold lookin' now, see?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    "Notably, the company is also searching for an engineer who is an "expert" in image processing techniques such as auto-exposure and auto white balance -- adjustment techniques that are absent from the current iPhone, which so far limits users to as-is shots."

Um, this sentence doesn't make sense. They are hiring someone who knows algorithms for auto adjustment techniques, yet the author (obviously bitter about a lack of features) mentions the iPhone not having manual adjustments.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    FINALLY a serious bugfix for logic, it has been long overdue.

Nice to see all the improvements...but there are still quite a few things still broken.

It's a step in the right direction, but Apple needs to keep the team working HARD on bugfixes for the app. At least this is a good sign that they haven't completely abandoned the app, as some people have suspected for a while.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

"Notably, the company is also searching for an engineer who is an "expert" in image processing techniques such as auto-exposure and auto white balance -- adjustment techniques that are absent from the current iPhone, which so far limits users to as-is shots."

Um, this sentence doesn't make sense. They are hiring someone who knows algorithms for auto adjustment techniques, yet the author (obviously bitter about a lack of features) mentions the iPhone not having manual adjustments.

Wouldn't you be bitter if you had to invent the news every day?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

FINALLY a serious bugfix for logic, it has been long overdue.

Nice to see all the improvements...but there are still quite a few things still broken.

It's a step in the right direction, but Apple needs to keep the team working HARD on bugfixes for the app. At least this is a good sign that they haven't completely abandoned the app, as some people have suspected for a while.

Man if 8.01-8.02 = 133MB update

Logic 8.5 is going to be a new app
  • Reply 7 of 29
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    My god, it's about time they put a store in Vancouver!!! The Metro area has over 2 million people! I was shocked when I was visiting a year ago, and I wanted to finally check out the iPhone, and I couldn't find an Apple store anywhere. I was convinced that my mobile phone Google maps was wrong! lol.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

My god, it's about time they put a store in Vancouver!!! The Metro area has over 2 million people! I was shocked when I was visiting a year ago, and I wanted to finally check out the iPhone, and I couldn't find an Apple store anywhere. I was convinced that my mobile phone Google maps was wrong! lol.

Why does Vancouver get a store before Tofino (population 1200)
  • Reply 9 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I don't know what the iPhone camera software is like, maybe it doesn't do any auto, it's just fixed settings or very limited in its range?

I really don't know about your spin on it. There have been some iphones that didn't do auto white balance very well all the time, I think there was a trick to working around the problem. I haven't heard about it in a while, so maybe it was fixed well enough.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The hire for the company's Cupertino headquarters would study present and future CMOS camera technology with an eye to implementing it in the iPhone, making clear that the firm hopes to upgrade the camera past the 2-megapixel model in the original.

Sounds like iPhone 3G will be just a "speed bump" of a revision and sounds that changes and additions to the soon to be released phone may be lacking someone's wish list of must haves, that is, a better camera. What else? No forward camera for iChat? Only a few short weeks until we all find out!
  • Reply 11 of 29
    pbjpbj Posts: 2member
    The lenses for the new iPhone camera will be produced by the Taiwanese firm, Genius. They have already started the R&D.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    I didn't know they had computers in Cana Duh
  • Reply 13 of 29
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know what the iPhone camera software is like, maybe it doesn't do any auto, it's just fixed settings or very limited in its range?

I really don't know about your spin on it. There have been some iphones that didn't do auto white balance very well all the time, I think there was a trick to working around the problem. I haven't heard about it in a while, so maybe it was fixed well enough.

There is currently a camera enhancement application and video application for the iPhone that can be installed if the phone is jailbroken. Both apps are pretty decent. Apple would be smart to just buy the IPR, make it better, and install it in the phones rather than re-invent the wheel. This would save on the R&D time as the people that have installed the software have done much of the beta testing. Also, Apple should just go with an off the shelf camera like the ones SE, or Nokia, or the other guys are using. Carl Zeiss is not a bad brand. Not to forget the inclusion of a Xenon flash rather than a simple LED flash.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ciscored View Post

I didn't know they had computers in Cana Duh

That's because you're dumbed down.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    uclueletucluelet Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Why does Vancouver get a store before Tofino (population 1200)

Screw Tofino.

What about Ucluelet !
  • Reply 16 of 29
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Apple earlier this week began its search for a Lead Camera Design Engineer for the iPhone.

You mean they are just getting around to it now? Or, the original one got canned and now hangs around drinking beer with the guy who came up with the hockey puck mouse? I'll bet the first one used to get a lot of action at bars mentioning they were involved with the iPhone, until they said they worked on the camera. I wouldn't be surprised if he or she got drinks thrown in their face.

Quote:

, yet the author (obviously bitter about a lack of features) . . .

Hey, hey, hey! Don't make fun of bitter people! It wasn't necessarily nice or tactful what Barack Obama said about us, but it's true -- we got guns and religion and we're bitter enough to use 'em! I've missed some really good nature shots because the camera is just "teh suck." That'll make you bitter.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Logic 8.0.2

Pro musicians can now download Logic 8.0.2 (139MB), the latest update to Apple's audio production suite.

The fix mends customer-specific and compatibility issues and also includes updated versions of Impulse Response Utility (1.0.2) and Waveburner (1.5.2) that address problems in those specific components.

The patch requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later.

Yeah after I lost 2 days work due to a REALLY stupid "bug" in it, bluddy typical!
  • Reply 18 of 29
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

You mean they are just getting around to it now? Or, the original one got canned and now hangs around drinking beer with the guy who came up with the hockey puck mouse? I'll bet the first one used to get a lot of action at bars mentioning they were involved with the iPhone, until they said they worked on the camera. I wouldn't be surprised if he or she got drinks thrown in their face.

Hey, hey, hey! Don't make fun of bitter people! It wasn't necessarily nice or tactful what Barack Obama said about us, but it's true -- we got guns and religion and we're bitter enough to use 'em! I've missed some really good nature shots because the camera is just "teh suck." That'll make you bitter.

I think it was mentioned at the time on here but im sure Apple started looking for a lead camera engineer just after iphone was announced. I think a link to the job on the Apple site was even posted here.

So basically this means the 3G one will use the same 2MP cam. I wonder if it is too much to expect video capture this time aswell.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I wonder if it is too much to expect video capture this time aswell.

Not if you would be happy with what was low-end technology about five years ago! \

Miniaturizing great technology is impressive, but making something that was big and crappy into something small and crappy is, to be charitable, cute but not particularly useful.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Man if 8.01-8.02 = 133MB update

Logic 8.5 is going to be a new app

If there is going to be a new logic. This almost seems like a "final patch" to me.