Telecom exec says 3G iPhone to support 42Mbps HSPA

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A senior executive for Australia's Telstra wireless carrier has allegedly told the region's ChannelNews that Apple's upcoming iPhone revision will be capable of supporting an advanced 3G connection at speeds of 42 megabits per second.

"We know what is coming, we have seen the new device and it will be available on our network as soon as it is launched in the USA," the unidentified executive is reported to have said. "By Xmas this phone will be capable of 42mbs which will make it faster than a lot of broadband offerings and the fastest iPhone on any network in the world."

The report goes on to say that Telstra already has 3G iPhones on hand for testing and that the device will be made available to the carrier's customers "very soon after its June 9 unveiling" by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

If true, the claim by the unnamed Telstra exec would suggest that Apple is building a wireless broadband chip into its next-gen iPhone that supports an advanced High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) protocol known as Evolved HSPA. In addition to downloads of up to 42 Mbps, Evolved HSPA networks also supports uploads at up to 22 Mbps.

Stateside, AT&T is putting the finishing touches on its own standard HSPA network that currently offers download speeds of 1.4 Mbps and upload rates around 800 Kbps. However, the US carrier promises to follow through on a plan that will boost download speeds to 7.2Mbps in the next year, eventually hitting 20Mbps sometime in 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Damn, this is getting exciting. I hope things pan out the way the rumors are going or there is going to be some serious disappointment...
  • Reply 2 of 115
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Considering the size of the files that would be downloaded, this seems about as fast are would ever be needed. I wonder what the true usable speeds will be though.

It should allow for a 4 MB song download in about 4 seconds assuming the usual problems with wireless.
  • Reply 3 of 115
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    An interesting side-note to this story is that it highlights the HUGE difference

in data infrastructure available in other countries vs. what is available to us

in the USA. AT&T's wonderful 3G upgrade still doesn't get us anywhere near

most civilized countries. And it's not just the speed of the pipes. There's

no DSL where I live, and it's 2008 for goodness' sakes. That's right: If I'm

not at work (in another town), I'm on dial-up.

And we wonder why our students are not as savvy in the info-tech fields.

• Reply 4 of 115
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    This news kinda takes the wind out of the Bluebaby Thunder rumors.
  • Reply 5 of 115
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Sounds like a good fit for video iChat.

Back in early 2005 I told a friend that if I had cash I'd buy as much AAPL stock as i could get. "Why?" he said. "Because," said I, "look at all the cash their pulling in on that iPod. You know that they're putting it all right into R&D for something extraordinary."

If I were Apple I would bet the house on an in-freaking-credible iPhone with bells and whistles of the most significant kind coming out of its ears.

Consider, the current iPhone was designed almost 2-3 years ago. There's no reason but battery power that this iPhone shouldn't have everything including GPS, two cameras, iChat AV, a business suite, and even a few colors or sizes.

Actually, the more I think about it the more likely it seems to me that there may be an iPhone Pro that is back up to $499 territory as well as a regular iPhone and then the Touch.

I'm just saying, within 3-5 years they want to completely dominate the top 70% of mobile computing and telephony, and there's absolutely no reason why they can't, shouldn't or won't.
  • Reply 6 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I see nothng about this story that can be substantiated.
    1. We do have evidence that that the chip is most likely the S-GOLD3H which has a max download of 7.2Mb/s.

2. I don't think there is even one cell phone that has a 14.4Mb.s chip in it (will research this more)

3. I'm certain there are no commercailly available chips that can handle 42Mb/s

4. The iPhone's processor, RAM and Flash couldn't handle those DL speeds

• Reply 7 of 115
    ctwisectwise Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

An interesting side-note to this story is that it highlights the HUGE difference

in data infrastructure available in other countries vs. what is available to us

in the USA. AT&T's wonderful 3G upgrade still doesn't get us anywhere near

most civilized countries. And it's not just the speed of the pipes. There's

no DSL where I live, and it's 2008 for goodness' sakes. That's right: If I'm

not at work (in another town), I'm on dial-up.

And we wonder why our students are not as savvy in the info-tech fields.

It's a consequence of being a big country with an extensive existing infrastructure. Many countries concentrate their population densities in relative few areas. Telecoms don't have to divide their infrastructure investments across many geographies. In addition, some countries have either no infrastructure or minimal infrastructure and thus a much sharper need for new build-out.
  • Reply 8 of 115
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If true, the claim by the unnamed Telstra exec would suggest that Apple is building a wireless broadband chip into its next-gen iPhone that supports an advanced High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) protocol known as Evolved HSPA. In addition to downloads of up to 42 Mbps, Evolved HSPA networks also supports uploads at up to 22 Mbps.

Stateside, AT&T is putting the finishing touches on its own standard HSPA network that currently offers download speeds of 1.4 Mbps and upload rates around 800 Kbps. However, the US carrier promises to follow through on a plan that will boost download speeds to 7.2Mbps in the next year, eventually hitting 20Mbps sometime in 2009.

Damn. If I can bridge this connection to to my MBP (even better to my AEX), I can get rid of my $60/month DSL. Could almost get rid of cable TV while I'm at it.
  • Reply 9 of 115
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Steve's going to have that Telstra exec's head on a pike by the end of the day.
  • Reply 10 of 115
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1. We do have evidence that that the chip is most likely the S-GOLD3H which has a max download of 7.2Mb/s.

2. I don't think there is even one cell phone that has a 14.4Mb.s chip in it (will research this more)

You're talking now; the Telstra guy said by the end of the year. The iPhone 1.0 most certainly can handle 42 Mbits/second via its USB interface.
  • Reply 11 of 115
    if youre standing directly under the cell tower and no one else is using it
  • Reply 12 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You're talking now; the Telstra guy said by the end of the year. The iPhone 1.0 most certainly can handle 42 Mbits/second via its USB interface.

The USB2.0 interface can, but other data transport mechanisms cannot. I don't think we'll see 14.4Mb/s chip int he iPhone by Xmas either. Much less a radio chip that can handle 42Mb/s.

...But I would love to be proved wrong here.
  • Reply 13 of 115
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Great and likely ONLY to be available in the BIG cites. I say this because of how slow this kind of technology takes to get to Maine, and knowing we aren't alone when it comes to Ma Bell, or any other company to provide the latest and greatest to places out of the way.

Great and NOT likely to really happen … way to big a jump from one iPhone to the next. Apple LIKES baby steps. In makes it easier to get the kinks out, as well as insures customers for the next new latest and greatest issues as they come about. Of course maybe the newest stuff afterwards - could be Computers?

Hey, I've got a bunch of stock, so in one since I don't much care, but I have been a Mac guy for MANY years, and my desk has a lot of Mac stuff sitting on or around it, and I can't wait for the latest and greatest to come out.

Skip
  • Reply 14 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Steve's going to have that Telstra exec's head on a pike by the end of the day.

Damn right! I'd wager Apple in all its super secretiveness has contracts that forbid disclosing such unreleased products and probably have steep penalties associated with it.
  • Reply 15 of 115
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree. It'll be a pleasant surprise though if they can get a full 3GPP Release 7 implementation in the next iPhone. The CPU, RAM and Flash isn't really an issue though other than for data use on the phone itself and you're not going to really need that kind of speed on a dinky screen like on an iPhone.

Where the 42Mbps is useful is tethered to a laptop which is something that so far they've not allowed/implemented.
  • Reply 16 of 115
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Sounds like a good fit for video iChat.

Back in early 2005 I told a friend that if I had cash I'd buy as much AAPL stock as i could get. "Why?" he said. "Because," said I, "look at all the cash their pulling in on that iPod. You know that they're putting it all right into R&D for something extraordinary."

If I were Apple I would bet the house on an in-freaking-credible iPhone with bells and whistles of the most significant kind coming out of its ears.

Consider, the current iPhone was designed almost 2-3 years ago. There's no reason but battery power that this iPhone shouldn't have everything including GPS, two cameras, iChat AV, a business suite, and even a few colors or sizes.

Actually, the more I think about it the more likely it seems to me that there may be an iPhone Pro that is back up to $499 territory as well as a regular iPhone and then the Touch.

I'm just saying, within 3-5 years they want to completely dominate the top 70% of mobile computing and telephony, and there's absolutely no reason why they can't, shouldn't or won't.

I admire your enthusiasm and I would be happy if you were right, but there are many

other companies spending a lot of money to capture those markets as well. I don't think

it will be easy for Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I agree. It'll be a pleasant surprise though if they can get a full 3GPP Release 7 implementation in the next iPhone. The CPU, RAM and Flash isn't really an issue though other than for data use on the phone itself and you're not going to really need that kind of speed on a dinky screen like on an iPhone.

Where the 42Mbps is useful is tethered to a laptop which is something that so far they've not allowed/implemented.

Not clear whether the story is true, but if it is true, it would certainly bolster the video conferencing iPhone rumors.
  • Reply 18 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I agree. It'll be a pleasant surprise though if they can get a full 3GPP Release 7 implementation in the next iPhone.

Thank you, I knew I forget something in my previous post.

5) 3GPP Release 7 not finished.
  • Reply 19 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Wouldn't that be nice. Welcome to Jobs-Land...
  • Reply 20 of 115
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    So "by Christmas.....it will be capable of."...does this mean a software upgrade to this level, or do you think there is another hardware iphone v3 that would be needed?