Jaguar Mac OS X or Current OS X? :::

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Do you think apple will let you upgrade to the final version of Jaguar [whatever the name may be] from the current "preview" version of Jaguar?

Is it safe/stable to run the preview version for now instead of 10.1.4?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    You must be one of the retarded people I was warned to stay away from.

The preview is for developers...not you!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>Do you think apple will let you upgrade to the final version of Jaguar [whatever the name may be] from the current "preview" version of Jaguar?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, they specifically mention (during installation, I believe) that you will not be able to upgrade from the preview (current) version of Jaguar to the released version.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    A little off topic but: I really like the option in Jaguar to create and old system folder and copy over all the user prefrences into the new installation. I dont know how many times I have broke OS X and would have killed for that feture. Its a real pain to organize a 3000 song mp3 list into seperate genre`s and then still have to set up my prefrences to my well preference.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by spotbug:

<strong>

No, they specifically mention (during installation, I believe) that you will not be able to upgrade from the preview (current) version of Jaguar to the released version.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, he is correct.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Regardless if you can upgrade or not ... I'm not going back to ten point one ..... its a peice of poo.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    This may be a dumb question but how come you can't upgrade from this Jaguar release?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>This may be a dumb question but how come you can't upgrade from this Jaguar release?</strong><hr></blockquote>Because the installer says so.

Don't you remember the problems people faced when "upgrading" from interim builds of 10.0 and 10.1? I'd guess that because the version numbers of the frameworks and such aren't final, the installer may muck up and leave those development versions there rather than replacing them with the GM versions. Just a guess.

Regardless, you should NOT be installing this unless you are prepared to completely wipe *all* of your data. All of it. That's the risk you take when you install pre-release software that isn't meant for general use.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Because the installer says so.

Don't you remember the problems people faced when "upgrading" from interim builds of 10.0 and 10.1? I'd guess that because the version numbers of the frameworks and such aren't final, the installer may muck up and leave those development versions there rather than replacing them with the GM versions. Just a guess.

Regardless, you should NOT be installing this unless you are prepared to completely wipe *all* of your data. All of it. That's the risk you take when you install pre-release software that isn't meant for general use.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bollocks (I've always wanted to say that ) Just stick it on a different HD or partition. As long as you don't tell it to erase that partition, I'm having trouble seeing what damage it could do. Of course, if you only have one partition and are messing around with dp's, you need to have your head examined and get that broadband access taken from you and given to someone who's not a moron (like me )
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Bollocks</strong><hr></blockquote>Sssshh... don't give away the tricks like this to these n00bs!! Let them think that installing this stuff is dangerous... because... errmm... it IS dangerous.

Damnit!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

Bollocks (I've always wanted to say that ) Just stick it on a different HD or partition. As long as you don't tell it to erase that partition, I'm having trouble seeing what damage it could do. Of course, if you only have one partition and are messing around with dp's, you need to have your head examined and get that broadband access taken from you and given to someone who's not a moron (like me )</strong><hr></blockquote>

well jag didn't like my seperate drive partition, fscked up the whole drive (pun intended), ah well, that's what i was expecting, clean install and man- what a beautiful improvement. thank you apple.