New Macbooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone, I am going to become a student in October and was wondering whether people think it's worth it buying a current Macbook, as they are apparently going to be upgraded? They are definitely going to be upgraded aren't they?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Word on the street is that they'll be upgraded in Q3 (Jul-Sep) but potentially announced at WWDC (9-Jun) or maybe later. The upgrade could just be the new Intel platform (Montevina) or a redesign of the cases as well. I'm starting law school in September and I'm waiting. I would wait if I were you unless you really need a laptop in the next couple of weeks.

There are a couple threads about this already on the forum if you want to read more about the speculation.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrossHST View Post

Should I get a current Macbook or wait until they are upgraded?

I don't know, it depends what type of person you are really.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    This close to WWDC, I'd wait until after the show. Could be (and probably will be) other things announced as well as the iPhone stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    crosshstcrosshst Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

Word on the street is that they'll be upgraded in Q3 (Jul-Sep) but potentially announced at WWDC (9-Jun) or maybe later. The upgrade could just be the new Intel platform (Montevina) or a redesign of the cases as well. I'm starting law school in September and I'm waiting. I would wait if I were you unless you really need a laptop in the next couple of weeks.

There are a couple threads about this already on the forum if you want to read more about the speculation.

Thanks for that, I do have a laptop at the moment it's an Acer Aspire 5102 and it's just over 2yrs old. It's starting to slow down and is becoming more and more susceptible to viruses, but I suppose I can wait a few months more! From the pictures/.jpgs I've seen I think I'd prefer the Aluminium version especially if it's lighter!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    crosshstcrosshst Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

This close to WWDC, I'd wait until after the show. Could be (and probably will be) other things announced as well as the iPhone stuff.

Only 3 and a bit weeks to wait, lol. Can't wait
  • Reply 6 of 20
    techgirltechgirl Posts: 21member
    Definately wait! Even if they don't announce anything at WWDC, they will be upgraded sometime this summer with Montevina. Plus, they will most likely have their usual summer buy-a-mac-get-an-ipod promotion.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    tulkutulku Posts: 1member
    Another reason to wait is if there is a fact of changes with MacBooks.. and if is pretty small changes, then you can take advantage of further reduced refurbished Macbooks.

I will wait till then.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Check with your school though if your about to go to college, I'm in the same boat not sure whether or not to wait on the new Mac's. However, my friend who will be gonig to school next year as well went to his school computer store (University of New Hampshire) and got a 15 inch Macbook Pro for $1500, wow. Priced one out and it would have cost me $2200. Also as a student you can get a rebate on an ipod up to $299. He got a 16G touch and only paid $60. And apparently theres not going to be much of an advantage to waiting. But do as you please.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Apple needs a 15 inch Macbook. I dont know why they insist on selling only a small screen version. 2 grand is a lot to spend for a macbook pro. They are missing a large part of the market.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

Apple needs a 15 inch Macbook. I dont know why they insist on selling only a small screen version. 2 grand is a lot to spend for a macbook pro. They are missing a large part of the market.

100% agree there. Big mistake not having one!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

100% agree there. Big mistake not having one!

actually, by not having one, they make all those mac users who want to have a big screen buy a mbp, thus creating more profits. if they aren't willing to shell out the cash, then they're still likely to buy a mb, or maybe a mb with an external monitor.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 420headz View Post

Check with your school though if your about to go to college, I'm in the same boat not sure whether or not to wait on the new Mac's. However, my friend who will be gonig to school next year as well went to his school computer store (University of New Hampshire) and got a 15 inch Macbook Pro for $1500, wow. Priced one out and it would have cost me $2200. Also as a student you can get a rebate on an ipod up to $299. He got a 16G touch and only paid $60. And apparently theres not going to be much of an advantage to waiting. But do as you please.

Thanks for all of this, but are there any users in the UK who know if we get a free iPod when we buy a Macbook etc? I'm off up to Birmingham tomorrow to buy one, was just wondering if people knew. Also which is the best printer to get free with the Macbook?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

Thanks for all of this, but are there any users in the UK who know if we get a free iPod when we buy a Macbook etc? I'm off up to Birmingham tomorrow to buy one, was just wondering if people knew. Also which is the best printer to get free with the Macbook?

I don't think that the educational deal applies outside of the US, but you can certainly ask the folks at the Apple dealer about it.

The best printer is entirely about what you plan to print. Seriously, text printers and quality photo printers are not the same. You can get some models that claim to do both well, but, that just isn't really the case if you have high standards for photography. If your standards are not that high, then you might be pleased with a lower quality model. If you're looking to get a free printer, and if the edu deal does apply, then you're looking at getting a $100, or less model. You will have to pay for it, then you will get a rebate check from Apple. My $400 in rebate checks, one for the printer, and one for my iPpd Touch, arrived in less than one week from the purchase date.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    #41#41 Posts: 4member
    Quote:

People still print things at home?

Wow.

When I was in school, I always just put whatever I needed to print on a keychain drive and took it to the computer lab or the library to print for free. Now that I'm out of school, I just print everything I need at work. Don't think I've owned a printer for over 5 years.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41 View Post

Wow.

When I was in school, I always just put whatever I needed to print on a keychain drive and took it to the computer lab or the library to print for free. Now that I'm out of school, I just print everything I need at work. Don't think I've owned a printer for over 5 years.

I'm sure that your boss loves that idea.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    iextremeiextreme Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41 View Post

Wow.

Actually, most universities (at least in the UK, Sweden n Japan) no longer offer free printing. Plus, the computer labs have a tendency to get jammed when essay deadlines approach. As such, I bought a multi-printer 2 years ago and use it all the time. Perhaps nominally more expensive than printing at uni, but so much more convenient.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iextreme View Post

Actually, most universities (at least in the UK, Sweden n Japan) no longer offer free printing. Plus, the computer labs have a tendency to get jammed when essay deadlines approach. As such, I bought a multi-printer 2 years ago and use it all the time. Perhaps nominally more expensive than printing at uni, but so much more convenient.

that's applicable to america, too, sadly. and, yes, five cents per page does add up
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milimetersquared View Post

that's applicable to america, too, sadly. and, yes, five cents per page does add up

There are ways to cut printing costs. Laser printers cost less per page, and a lot less per page if you only print with black ink. The next big saving comes from not printing everything one sees, but limiting your printing to what is necessary.

Now if you're into color printing, either graphics or photography, then there's no way out!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Yep. Back in college I bought a used LaserJet (from a professor who was moving out- for all I know the thing was university property ). Toner carts are about $80, but it prints 3000+ pages on one, and those old LaserJets last forever.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Yep. Back in college I bought a used LaserJet (from a professor who was moving out- for all I know the thing was university property ). Toner carts are about $80, but it prints 3000+ pages on one, and those old LaserJets last forever.

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the info I bought the 2.1Ghz version of the Macbook about 4 weeks ago and am very happy with it. It is the best Laptop that I have used and the printer I bought with it (an HP Photosmart C4280) is brilliant.

Again thanks for all the information it has proven very useful!