your experiences with Apple's hardware durability

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello.

What are your positive and negative experiences with Apple's hardware concerning its durability?

My iBook (9/2004) got hurt several times.

- Once orange juice got sprayed over the running machine's keyboard, nothing happened.

- I accidentally fell on it, because of slippery ground. Only the hinge was damaged, no other structural change could be found.

- A vase fell down due high wind, the water flew into the screen, which was open and inactive, but the computer was still running. After discovering what happened, the screen had a lot of bright spots (big and small ones), I immediately shut down the computer and let it dry for a while, with the help of an oven for instance.

After I thought it was safe again, the iBook ran like a charm, only the spots of water gave the accident away. I called it the new Aqua. The big spots eventually dried, and only some remained.

- The hard drive failed months ago, SMART was detecting an error, the drive clicked like crazy.

After a while it was gone, SMART status is okay, the drive works again, with no clicking sound for months.

My new iMac hasn't had a proper failure yet, and I'm knocking on wood on this. It's working like a charm.

So what are your tales?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Hello.

What are your positive and negative experiences with Apple's hardware concerning its durability?

My iBook (9/2004) got hurt several times.

- Once orange juice got sprayed over the running machine's keyboard, nothing happened.

- I accidentally fell on it, because of slippery ground. Only the hinge was damaged, no other structural change could be found.

- A vase fell down due high wind, the water flew into the screen, which was open and inactive, but the computer was still running. After discovering what happened, the screen had a lot of bright spots (big and small ones), I immediately shut down the computer and let it dry for a while, with the help of an oven for instance.

After I thought it was safe again, the iBook ran like a charm, only the spots of water gave the accident away. I called it the new Aqua. The big spots eventually dried, and only some remained.

- The hard drive failed months ago, SMART was detecting an error, the drive clicked like crazy.

After a while it was gone, SMART status is okay, the drive works again, with no clicking sound for months.

My new iMac hasn't had a proper failure yet, and I'm knocking on wood on this. It's working like a charm.

So what are your tales?

I have an iBook from 2002. The backlight isn't as bright as it used to be, and the battery only lasts about two hours.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nickmininickmini Posts: 74member
    Blue/White PowerMac G3 - bought 1999 - retired 2007 (still running, just a bit too slow - gave it to my kids!)

PowerBook G3 (Pismo) 500MHz - bought 2000, died 2006 (freak ant infestation, really creepy to see millions of ants pouring out of the vents - ugh).

PowerBook G4 - 2005 - Present, no issue whatsoever. Still main computer for graphic design, occasional light video editing, family photos etc.

I have or use 3 more (newer) Macs - same kind of experience so far. Hey, maybe I'm just lucky, but as far as I'm concerned, it don't get much better than this!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    My first Mac, a Mac Plus bought back in 1987 or so, survived 3 years of heavy use in hot, humid weather, incredible gaming hours, a trip around the globe in a backpack, being dropped down a flight of stairs and the odd bumps and jolts of daily life. Worked like a charm for 13 years.

Things were pretty good. Recent quality just doesn't compare IMO. However, thought there are plenty of good machines out there, I have had incredible bad luck in getting the bad ones (I am currently on my third MacBook Air and crossing my fingers; there are many more experiences that I would just rather forget).

Apple's build quality has dropped appreciatively recently; they seem too focused on making the quick money to care about making good products.