Images of Griffin's 3G iPhone case mold revealed online?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Photographs that appear to show a finalized mold for a 3G iPhone case from well-known iPod and iPhone accessory maker Griffin Technology have been posted online.

Little-known iDealsChinaInsider claims to have personally taken the photos (below), which it claims "should once and for all verify the iPhone 3G size and the position of the new camera and sensors."

Specifically, the photos are said to be of Griffin's upcoming Flex GRIP iPhone 3G silicone case mold, which was built with help from 3G iPhone specifications provided to the company under non-disclosure agreements.

In supporting its claims that Griffin would be privy to such information, iDealsChinaInsider notes that the accessory maker is arguably one of the most trusted companies in the iPod accessory business.

Assuming they're authentic, the photos would appear to corroborate reports that the next-generation iPhone would sport a slightly more bulbous backside with a broader array of sensors near the ear piece, one of which could presumably be a much-rumored front-side camera.

Assuming it already has a design for a case in mind, iDealsChinaInsider notes that it takes accessory makers like Griffin approximately 14 to 19Â*days to create a silicon case from the time it gains possession of the handset's specs, and another week or so to get the product on the open market.

The process includes a day to obtain the specs, two days to scan a model of an iPhone based off the specs, a day to model the mold, 8-10 days to create the actual mold, and 3-5 days to express mail the mold to a manufacturing partner.

On Tuesday, a similar set of photos purportedly showing an empty 3G iPhone shell were also posted online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Okay, I'd like to officially go on record that I believe these leaked photos and mockups are what the new iPhone will look like.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    bukweetbukweet Posts: 9member
    Agreed. I think this is the real deal.

Whew!... glad to see not much deviation from the original iPhone, to which I've grown quite accustomed.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Not sure if I'd want to be anyone at Griffin right now.

Someone is going to take a ton of shiit for this leaking out ? if it's for real.

Skip
  • Reply 4 of 31
    This is getting very exciting. The anticipation is almost too much for me to bear!
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bukweet View Post

Whew!... glad to see not much deviation from the original iPhone, to which I've grown quite accustomed.

One deviation is the shape of the bevel. The new style makes it appear that the display's edge is farther from the case edge, making it appear smaller or the case appear larger than the current model. I've already read several complaints about this on AI. Psychological or not, this will surely annoy many more people once the device lands.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Okay, I'd like to officially go on record that I believe these leaked photos and mockups are what the new iPhone will look like.

I think this "Griffin" company (if that is their real name) is just a media rumor. They have a nice website and some very compelling products, which were all set up as an elaborate ruse years ago for the sole purpose of misleading the rumor sites about the 3G iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You got it right earlier in the article -- silicone, not silicon. But a silicon case would be an interesting first. Silicon carbide would be even more interesting.

I think I see the Virgin Mary in that silicon case mold!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You got it right earlier in the article -- silicone, not silicon. But a silicon case would be an interesting first. Silicon carbide would be even more interesting.

I think I see the Virgin Mary in that silicone case mold!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iDealsChinaInsider notes that it takes accessory makers like Griffin approximately 14 to 19 days to create a silicon case from the time it gains possession of the handset's specs, and another week or so to get the product on the open market.

• Reply 10 of 31
    I actually stunned how Apple has managed to keep this as secret as it is, there must be a stack of these phones out there and to date the best we have are molds and cases etc. Kudos for keeping it so secret with this insane amount of interest.

Still, this is probably the real deal, but you know, you never know, easy to slip misinformation as well.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bukweet View Post

Same here. This is not some phony mock-up. Those are real molds. Griffin is gonna get their butts kicked to Taiwan by Teh Furious Steve.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post

I actually stunned how Apple has managed to keep this as secret as it is, there must be a stack of these phones out there and to date the best we have are molds and cases etc. Kudos for keeping it so secret with this insane amount of interest.

Still, this is probably the real deal, but you know, you never know, easy to slip misinformation as well.

It would be hilarious to discover that Apple has been feeding misinformation this whole time to these sites. I'd love that.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It would be hilarious to discover that Apple has been feeding misinformation this whole time to these sites. I'd love that.

That would be great.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    The shape has pretty clearly been established.

But is anyone else holding out the hope that the color/material scheme is metallic, rather than plastic?

I'd settle for ceramic, I suppose. But black/white casings just seem like an odd movement backward. I have trouble believing Jobs would change the design paradigm back to plastic after all the praise the 1st-gen model got for its "substantial" feeling.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

I have trouble believing Jobs would change the design paradigm back to plastic after all the praise the 1st-gen model got for its "substantial" feeling.

Just as parts can be made with cheap metal, plastics can feel substantial. They won't be cool to the touch like metal or feel hot when you pick up a charging iPhone, but the type of plastic, its density and and construction are what is important.

The use of a rounded edge adds structural support and to make it feel more natural when held. So many other inexpensive handheld devices use cheap plastic, poor ergonomics, cheap snap together design, and flimsy access panels for the battery cover. Sure, some will complain, but the images we are seeing here have none of those downfalls.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    poopedpooped Posts: 40member
    this finally looks more like it was described to me by 2 different people who've held a prototype in their hands:

thicker and taller (longer). they also both complained about it being heavier.

one works for one of the european phone network companies, the other is a tech-freak, they didn't specify anything about storage size or any extra camera's, just bitched about the size. wouldn't give me any more info.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooped View Post

this finally looks more like it was described to me by 2 different people who've held a prototype in their hands:

thicker and taller (longer).

they also both complained about it being heavier.

no other news though, they didn't specify anything about storage size or any extra camera's, just bitched about the size.

But the screen real estate will be larger, therefore the keys will be larger, the 2 lenses will be a much needed improvement, and GPS will more than make up for any weight increase. I'm seriously salivating over iPhone 2 (the fantasy version).
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooped View Post

thicker and taller (longer).

they also both complained about it being heavier.

That coincides with the need for a larger battery to maintain the same, or better, battery life. I'd prefer this route over keeping the same size and weight but allowing the device to die sooner.

PS: I am more excited to see new iPhone broken down into its core parts than I am to get one. i want to see how many off the shelf parts they have used this time around compared to the current iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But the screen real estate will be larger, therefore the keys will be larger.

Do you think the screen width is slightly larger? I also thought the display looked wider on one leaked pic, but other leaked pics make it look like it's the same screen size and dimensions, with the bevel curve change creating an optical illusion.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you think the screen width is slightly larger? I also thought the display looked wider on one leaked pic, but other leaked pics make it look like it's the same screen size and dimensions, with the bevel curve change creating an optical illusion.

Hard to tell... it would be most helpful for these spy pix to include a ruler next to the purported iPhone2.