Looking To Buy MBP - Buy Now Or Wait?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I'm currently a Windows user but am planning to switch to Mac and buy a MacBook Pro sometime during the next few weeks. However, after browsing through the numerous forums here, it seems as though Apple might be updating their MacBook Pro's during WWDC or sometime during August with Centrino 2 and maybe even a "re-design". How likely is the new MBP going to be updated with Centrino 2 (and a "re-design") on WWDC or August? I'd hate to buy a MBP and see Apple announce a new MBP a month later. As for waiting, I'm not in a hurry to use a MBP, although it'd just be nice to have one to toy around with when the summer holiday starts (in 2 weeks for me).

Thanks,

Jonathan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anician View Post

Hi, I'm currently a Windows user but am planning to switch to Mac and buy a MacBook Pro sometime during the next few weeks. However, after browsing through the numerous forums here, it seems as though Apple might be updating their MacBook Pro's during WWDC or sometime during August with Centrino 2 and maybe even a "re-design". How likely is the new MBP going to be updated with Centrino 2 (and a "re-design") on WWDC or August? I'd hate to buy a MBP and see Apple announce a new MBP a month later. As for waiting, I'm not in a hurry to use a MBP, although it'd just be nice to have one to toy around with when the summer holiday starts (in 2 weeks for me).

Thanks,

Jonathan

I'm in the exact same situation as you, just with the macbook!

I think that whenever the MB/MBPs are updated, they will DEFINITELY have the new Centrino 2.

I think it won't take as long as September for the MBPs to be updated, but I don't think they will happen at WWDC. If anything, they make get mentioned at WWDC, but they won't be released at any point near that, seeing as the chips are being due late.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anician View Post

Thanks,

Jonathan

I too find myself in the same predicament with the MBP, however I need mine in the first week of July. I have no problem with the current model, however, I'd still hate to buy one now and then have them release one 2 weeks later. I'm hoping that they will reveal the new MBP at the WWDC and give a date for purchase. Once I have a date then I can truly make my decision.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    If you need it, buy it.

If you can live without it for a few months, you don't need it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    If I was sure I was going to get a MBP and not MB I would go ahead and buy now. Montivena platform upgrades will only be modest improvements to the existing MBP machines. The MBP already has LED backlit displays and multi-touch gestures so really it'll only be a speed bump. Now it is possible (likely?) that the MBP will also get a redesign as well. How much do you like the current MBP design?

I would wait for the next MB if that is what I was going to buy. It'll see much more changes that make it worth waiting for. New LED back lit displays, multi-touch gestures, better integrated graphics and speed bumps are almost certain. The MB may also get a redesign as well. These improvements are worth waiting a little longer for for IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    ^ What he said
  • Reply 6 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    My point is, there's always something better around the corner - if you keep waiting on the next big thing you'll never buy anything.

You have to weigh up what benefits the current iteration will bring you today.

Is there a project coming up where the current machine would be a big help? Is there a usage you already have where the current machine would make your life easier. etc. etc.

If the answer is yes, go out and invest in the current machine ? and be comforted by the fact that whilst your machine may not be the newest kid on the block forever, you've put it to good use and benefitted from having it in the meantime.

If the answer is no, hold-off until the answer is yes...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    matekmatek Posts: 3member
    I agree with people who say "Buy if you need". Ever since Apple switched to x86, getting "old" hardware isn't as much of a problem as it used to be. Intel updates their mobile cpus and platforms about every 6 months (sometimes it's the CPU, sometimes it's the platform) and Apple has to follow that update cycle, otherwise they would lag behind other laptop makers, which means you aren't taking as much risk as you used to with PPC, because now the updates are smaller and happen more often. Before, they were rare and important.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    aniciananician Posts: 5member
    I think I'll wait until WWDC before making up my mind. Another added incentive of waiting would be the Back To School promotions, which I heard was beginning sometime during the next week or so. (According to MacRumors, the promotion begins on June 3rd, but it doesn't mention any source or anything and further "Googling" doesn't show up any results, so it's probably doubtful.