Remember that Professional Laptop?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The TiBook seems a bit outclassed in the face of the new iMac. They have managed to fit an 800 MHz G4 into a tiny enclosure, indicating the possibility of doing the same in a portable. IMO, they also need to keep the peformance of their professional products above that of their consumer products. For many, portability does not carry an $1000 dollar price tag. People, myself included, would like to get features exclusive to the higher end product.

Judging from Apple's past, there is no particular reason to believe what I just said. Pismo ran at roughly the same clock speed as iMac for a while, and it never has been at the same MHz rating as the towers.

All of that being said, I think Apple will update the TiBook at Toyko. They will add an 867 chip (133 bus!!), and hopefully upgrade the screen resolution. They need to make its specs look less like the iMacs. Otherwise, people choosing between the Ti and iMac will surely choose the latter. I would buy the new iMac before the Ti if I didn't absolutely require the portability... but I do. This is a problem for Apple because the profit margin on the Ti is much higher than on the iMac. I won't buy a TiBook until this unbalance is corrected.

- Pook

(ps - I LOVE the new iMac)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    corvettecorvette Posts: 561member
    The professional meaning can be subjective. Is it professional compared to the desktops or is compared to the consumer iMac?

It is arguably professional either way, but I would say that it is more professional against the ibook than desktops.

Wow that made no sense I contradicted myself like five times.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    While I don't disagree that it would be nice to see a Tibook upgrade, I think comparing this iMac to the Tibook might be like comparing Apples to... uhmm might be "different" (hmmn how many apple related things come to mind?)...

It is cool that they smushed everything into the little artoo deetoo trash can-like base of the imac, from what I hear (admission, I don't know), the imac is quite a bit heavier. I don't think you want to be toting that around when travelling much.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    honestly, i don't think people cross shop those two machines. i needed the fastest mac portable i could buy, and that's the titanium. even if it is slower than the imac, it's still the faster portable. so, i don't think that means the tibook is going to be updated necessarily. plus, i have a 667 and the cooling of the machine leaves a lot to be desired. the fan is on a LOT. and the loud stage 2 fan is on way more often than i 'd like. can't see getting a faster=hotter chip in there at the moment.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    On the other hand, the next G4 (7460) should be able to run cooler and faster than the 7441, and those should appear in time for a MWTY launch.

Even now, though, the TiBook has a few distinct advantages: Battery vs. no battery. 5 lbs. vs. 22. Quibbles like that.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by kikaida:

<strong>It is cool that they smushed everything into the little artoo deetoo trash can-like base of the imac, from what I hear (admission, I don't know), the imac is quite a bit heavier. I don't think you want to be toting that around when travelling much.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, the TiBook's power supply isn't internal. While the iMac uses small components, the TiBook uses the smallest compents Apple can get. Actually, Apple probably had to make the base of the iMac pretty heavy because of its design.

But like Amorph said, the next G4 (Apollo) is going in the TiBook. It'll also probably make it into the iMac at its first revision.

I hope the G5 makes its way in to the PowerBook within a few years (just in time for my upgrade )