10.5.3 updated now safari won't run

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
apple support forums

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....41083&tstart=0

I have two new iMac 20", did the update 10.5.3 for both units

unit A now won't load safari, when i downloaded safari 3.1.1 it won't install

"this needs 10.5.2" but "about this mac" says 10.5.3

tried software update again, and nothing to update.

Unit B--same update, but safari runs fine.

some suggested that we reinstall safari from the install discs that came with the computer.

there has got to be another way. why just one unit affected, both are identical done withing 15 minutes of each other.

any of you having this problem??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    You should not need to download Safari 3.1.1. Safari should have been updated to the version required for your computer along with the rest of your OS.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    after the update safari woudn't run, i tried all kinds of things, finally i trashed it and downloaded safari same version as i had at the suggestion of another site. didn't work either. won't mount to my disk when i chose the HD i got the error message
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Suffice it to say, you have the wrong remedy for the wrong diagnosis. The first thing to suspect when you have problems with Safari is a misbehaving haxie.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    You didn't by chance move Safari out of the /Applications folder, or into a sub-folder before updating did you?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

You didn't by chance move Safari out of the /Applications folder, or into a sub-folder before updating did you?

no, whenever i update anything i don't make any changes prior to updating , and i would not have any reason to switch it out. but thanks for you insight.

i am not the only one with this issue, why on one mac and not the other is nuts. the units are identical.

is there a way to go back pre-10.5.3 and redo the update?

also why doesn't the safari recognize the update as 10.5.3??? just weird
  • Reply 6 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

no, whenever i update anything i don't make any changes prior to updating , and i would not have any reason to switch it out. but thanks for you insight.

i am not the only one with this issue, why on one mac and not the other is nuts. the units are identical.

is there a way to go back pre-10.5.3 and redo the update?

also why doesn't the safari recognize the update as 10.5.3??? just weird

Do you have Superduper or CCC?

If so, its easy.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Do you have Superduper or CCC?

If so, its easy.

yes on my other units, these are for kids , school, education and internet, i'm not putting any software on it that can't run from a disk i'm using firefox on unit A, unit B is ok
  • Reply 8 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

yes on my other units, these are for kids , school, education and internet, i'm not putting any software on it that can't run from a disk i'm using firefox on unit A, unit B is ok

Just clone your machine from a backup and then run a software update or combo update, your choice, to get back to 10.5.3.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Safari wouldn't open for me at all once I updated to 10.5.3. I don't use any plugins in Safari, so there's no customisation issue.

I tried restarting a couple of times with no luck. Eventually, I shut the computer down completely for an hour or so while updating software on a couple of other Macs in the house. When I restarted the computer again Safari worked fine.

This only happened on one computer, namely my dual 2.5GHz G5, 6GB RAM, OSX 10.5.3.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    solution given on the above link, i had to reinstall from the install disc that came with the imac, using a custom install for safari only

BINGO IT WORKED. still a weird problem to have
  • Reply 11 of 12
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Good to hear it worked

I was going to suggest installing Webkit, but pulling the Safari.app from the MacOSX installer package is an interesting idea.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Oddly enough, I am now unable to get audio through websites such as Youtube or Myspace in Safari (as of about 30 mins ago). I've been using a PreSonus Firebox for years (a FW device) for my sound card in and out of my Mac, but it literally just stopped working with Safari. Works great with every other app, iTunes, Quicktime, Logic 8 etc.

Very odd. Anyone else experiencing anything like this with Safari using a FW-based audio device?