QE on a new iBook?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i want to get a new 700MHz iBook w/ 16MB Radeon Mobility. of course i'm looking forward to Jaguar's QE but am concerned that a 700MHz G3 processor and 16MB Radeon Mobility video card might give me a less than desired result.

has anyone had a chance to use a Jaguar build on one of these new iBooks? if so, how it GUI and system performance? has anyone used a Jaguar build on any G3 system that meets QE's reqs? actually, are there any G3 systems besides the new iBook that meet QE's reqs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Just my .02 cents but....

Rule #1: Buy the best system your checkbook will allow.

Rule #2: The system you buy WILL be bested usually at a lower cost.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I wouldn't worry too much.

32MB is recommended for optimal performance according to apple, but you have to remember that the iBook can only go up to 1024x768, so it won't need as much video memory as a desktop or a powerbook where the screen size (frame buffer) and window sizes (textures) would potentially be much larger.

Processor speed shouldn't be much of an issue with QE, because the idea is that the processor has to do less work now, and I'm running a 400Mhz PowerBook G3 that runs OS X rather well already.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Thew new iBooks should be totally fine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>I wouldn't worry too much.

32MB is recommended for optimal performance according to apple, but you have to remember that the iBook can only go up to 1024x768, so it won't need as much video memory as a desktop or a powerbook where the screen size (frame buffer) and window sizes (textures) would potentially be much larger.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agree. The new i book will work fine under Jaguar, much better than all my macs at the exception of my G4 533.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jakemanjakeman Posts: 22member
    thanks for the replies guys. i'll be sure to let you know my experiences when i get my iBook and install a Jaguar build on it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jakemanjakeman Posts: 22member
    i just got my 700/12.1/combo iBook btw. it's sweet. it's running 10.1.5 and has 384MB RAM. i am very pleased with aqua performance... it's more than i expected. it's actually... liquidy. hehe. i'm already happy, and performance can only get better with the release of 10.2.