International iPhone Usage

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm going to Europe in a few days. I want to take my iPhone but I am scared of racking up AT&T's roaming charges. However, I have lots of business that I need to do and would like to take my iPhone to use on various WiFi networks.

Would it work to simply take out my SIM card, double check that Data Roaming is turned off, and strictly use the WiFi to check emails? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    ramsey123ramsey123 Posts: 55member
    Can't remove the SIM and use the iPhone. Surely you have a password assigned to your SIM that you enter each time you turn on your iPhone. When the "Unlock SIM" message comes on, simply press the button to ignore and proceed using the phone with the SIM temporarily disabled. That way you cannot use anything but free WI-FI.

Secondly, be sure to turn off the International Roaming feature in the General Settings.

With the Wi-Fi on, the iPhone will sniff out Wi-Fi spots as you walk past hotels and bars. Once you get a hit, simply ask them if they have public Wi-Fi. Most will give the password to you if you buy a Coke or a beer.

The bars and restaurants in Asia are really taking advantage of the fact that people will stop at an establishment just because they have Wi-Fi so it may be similar in Europe.