iPhone 2.0 build quality?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The first thing that struck me in all the advance reports about the iPhone was the suggestion that the new build would be plastic instead of aluminium. This struck me as counterintutive given that the whole iPod lineup has been shifted to aluminium cases.

The Apple website doesn't even say what the iPhone is made of, but it looks plasticky. Any confirmation of this and/or information on durability and how it compares to the cases on old iPods?

Cheers,

FP

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    well, it's definitely plastic. jobs even says in the keynote "all plastic back." it's assumed this was done because plastic is radio transparent as opposed to metal.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

well, it's definitely plastic. jobs even says in the keynote "all plastic back." it's assumed this was done because plastic is radio transparent as opposed to metal.

Just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet that the plastic back is going to look like hell after being in a pocket for five seconds.

Case manufacturers are probably rejoicing right now...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by False Prophet View Post

The first thing that struck me in all the advance reports about the iPhone was the suggestion that the new build would be plastic instead of aluminium. This struck me as counterintutive given that the whole iPod lineup has been shifted to aluminium cases.

The Apple website doesn't even say what the iPhone is made of, but it looks plasticky. Any confirmation of this and/or information on durability and how it compares to the cases on old iPods?

Cheers,

FP

The plastic is required to be radio transparent for the 10 different radio signal sources that are apparently built into the phone for the different phone standards, wifi, bluetooth and GPS. I suspect it could mean better signal strength as well which will be an improvement. It is also probably a bit lighter.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The made it plastic to mainly annoy people like me
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Guys,

Just wanted to check with you...are the current 3G Iphones gonna be known as version 2 from henceforth? What abt apple securing already a patent for a flip phone, iphone? Arent they calling that v2.0??!!

Please let me know if i'm wrong to suggest that people stop calling the impending 3g iphone, the Version 2> as that is not accurate

Peace Out

Jonathan
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonathan73622 View Post

Guys,

Just wanted to check with you...are the current 3G Iphones gonna be known as version 2 from henceforth? What abt apple securing already a patent for a flip phone, iphone? Arent they calling that v2.0??!!

Please let me know if i'm wrong to suggest that people stop calling the impending 3g iphone, the Version 2> as that is not accurate

Peace Out

Jonathan

You can call it pumpkin pie for all I care...

I'm keeping my first gen phone until the third iteration. That's pretty much been my plan all along and based on the new features announced yesterday, I don't think I'm missing out on much.

May I recommend "The Plastic Fantastic" as a potential code name?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    All depends on the plastic. I really wish they'd gone with the textured look, ala the iMac back.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pspalmer View Post

Just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet that the plastic back is going to look like hell after being in a pocket for five seconds.

Case manufacturers are probably rejoicing right now...

there are different kinds of plastics, some much more scratch resistant than others. metal isn't always better anyway. the back of all my chrome-back ipods look like hell except for the one i covered with a invisible shield early on. i'll probably cover the back of the iphone before i use it as well. i'd rather spend the $7 on a scratch-proof shield and have better reception than sacrifice reception for an unscratchable backplate.