Quartz Extreme + Photoshop = Love?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've heard that QE will do wonders for video editing, but will it also do wonders for Photoshop?

roger

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    From what I understand, since QE offloads the screen drawing to the GPU, this will leave more room for Photoshop to do its thing on the CPU. I don't think it will do much for filters directly.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    My understanding is that QE / QGL will not do anything in terms of speeding up Adobe app computational tasks. As noted it may free up the processor to do other things (perhaps getting those things done a little quicker), but mostly it will affect global items such as menu and toolbar responsiveness, window dragging and resizing, and perhaps zooming and scrolling (not sure about this one, I don't think these things would be handed off from AGM to QE/QGL but who knows). Probably file operations will improve too in terms of using Open and Save Dialogs and perhaps the File Browser.

Also, gcc will have a positive impact on the overall responsiveness of applications - even without them being recompiled on gcc. But again, we're talking global functionality more than specific computational stuff.

In other words, Jaguar's improvements should affect all apps equally, in that it will make interacting with them much more responsive. It won't, however, enable Photoshop to say ... apply an unsharp mask or colorspace change to a 30 MB image much faster than before. Same with Illustrator, same with ID, (and same with Premiere I would assume - could be wrong though).

All told I expect that for folks who have an AGP slot, Jaguar will increase system and application responsiveness to a level much closer to what we saw under OS 9. Maybe not equal in all respects, but enough so that people will have to find something else to whine about - probably lackluster hardware specs if past precedent is any measure.

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    scott_h_phdscott_h_phd Posts: 448member
    Its the same as the video card issue. Some people think a faster video card will speed Photoshop up. But infact the stuff that is "slow" in Photoshop is all software on the CPU.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>Its the same as the video card issue. Some people think a faster video card will speed Photoshop up. But infact the stuff that is "slow" in Photoshop is all software on the CPU.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right. It's the same in the sense that if you don't have a faster CPU, the CPU-intensive tasks won't take any less time to complete. The difference is that the CPU may get to those tasks more quickly than before, allowing for the perecption that they're gettting done more quickly.

I imagine for big-time filtering tasks and the like we're only talking a couple seconds here or there. Personally, I'm just looking forward to using Adobe apps and not having to wait for modal dialogs to draw themselves, windows to refresh, etc. That alone will make the apps feel much better to my eyes.