Calendar Sharing using .Mac/MobileMe

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Maybe one of you could shed some light on this for me. My wife and I have an iMac that we share, but we also have two work PCs that we use. Is there a way, if I purchase the family pack, to have my MobileMe account on my work PC, her MobileMe account on her work PC and both MobileMe accounts to sync to our home iMac?

It would be much easier for her calendar to update on all three computers instead of having to constantly send invitations to one another (which in turn, doesn't allow me to change the event to her calendar). It would also be nice for Address Book to sync with both of our sets of contacts to use for Mail.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Well yea of course. It's all web based. There will be a free two month demo so you'll be able to test it out first.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Well yea of course. It's all web based. There will be a free two month demo so you'll be able to test it out first.

So the sub accounts share the same calendar and address book as the main account?? Or do they get their own?

If they get their own calendar and address book, then does it sync with the master account?? (ie if my wife changes her calender under her sub-account, will her calendar update on my calendar with the same information??)

I'm not sure how it being web based has anything to do with whether her calendar will automatically update on my calendar (whether it be online or syncing with outlook/iCal).

Does anyone that currently uses the family pack for .Mac know about this???
  • Reply 3 of 10
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrojanShawn View Post

So the sub accounts share the same calendar and address book as the main account?? Or do they get their own?

If they get their own calendar and address book, then does it sync with the master account?? (ie if my wife changes her calender under her sub-account, will her calendar update on my calendar with the same information??)

I'm not sure how it being web based has anything to do with whether her calendar will automatically update on my calendar (whether it be online or syncing with outlook/iCal).

Does anyone that currently uses the family pack for .Mac know about this???

Can't comment directly - but it would have to be based on the User a/c otherwise how the heck could you expect it to work ?

Specify users a/cs to sync to in prefs, I guess - but that maybe a little hopeful this time round.

heck I could imagine that getting really messy real quick .... I want to sync my Calendar for this event at this time but not sync to anyone else this other appointment later on in the day/week/month whatever ...

Sounds like the two of you need to use one admin account - sync general events through that.

Have user specific a/cs for your personal stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, I want to do the same thing, and using an admin account won't work. There are no accounts on iPhones.

Here's the setup:

Admin: has shared calendars S1 and S2

User A: has private calendars A1 and A2, and shared calendars S1 and S2

User B: has private calendars B1 and B2, and shared calendars S1 and S2

As it currently stands, A & B can subscribe to a published calendar from Admin, but can't alter it. You have to log in as Admin to change S1 and S2, and then A & B will get the changes. But... if you're on an iPhone, you are one of Admin or User A or User B, period. You can't switch user profiles or accounts. Someone with an Admin phone cannot have any private calendars or contacts. A & B can't change the calendars and contacts they share. Bogus.

The reason for this is that the syncing isn't live on .mac - if A makes changes, and B makes conflicting changes, and alterations hit the server at different times, who wins? (ie, A moves an appt in their view from Mon to Tue. The change is only local until they resync with .mac. Before they do, B moves *the same appt* from Mon to Wed. They sync first. Now, when A tries to sync, the server can't find the appt on Monday to move, because B moved it already. Oops. Confusion reigns.) Push sync alleviates this, since changes are live.

If A & B can subscribe to a *live* version of S1 and S2 though, using the live push, then syncing is automatic, and more or less instantaneous (there are still boundary cases, of course, which I'm sure someone will toss up as proof of why this could never work... those can be worked around), and you get true shared information.

The current Publish/Subscribe model won't work for iPhones if the users want to be able to change the shared data as well as view it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mrfcobfmrfcobf Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

No, I want to do the same thing, and using an admin account won't work. There are no accounts on iPhones.

Here's the setup:

Admin: has shared calendars S1 and S2

User A: has private calendars A1 and A2, and shared calendars S1 and S2

User B: has private calendars B1 and B2, and shared calendars S1 and S2

As it currently stands, A & B can subscribe to a published calendar from Admin, but can't alter it. You have to log in as Admin to change S1 and S2, and then A & B will get the changes. But... if you're on an iPhone, you are one of Admin or User A or User B, period. You can't switch user profiles or accounts. Someone with an Admin phone cannot have any private calendars or contacts. A & B can't change the calendars and contacts they share. Bogus.

The reason for this is that the syncing isn't live on .mac - if A makes changes, and B makes conflicting changes, and alterations hit the server at different times, who wins? (ie, A moves an appt in their view from Mon to Tue. The change is only local until they resync with .mac. Before they do, B moves *the same appt* from Mon to Wed. They sync first. Now, when A tries to sync, the server can't find the appt on Monday to move, because B moved it already. Oops. Confusion reigns.) Push sync alleviates this, since changes are live.

If A & B can subscribe to a *live* version of S1 and S2 though, using the live push, then syncing is automatic, and more or less instantaneous (there are still boundary cases, of course, which I'm sure someone will toss up as proof of why this could never work... those can be worked around), and you get true shared information.

The current Publish/Subscribe model won't work for iPhones if the users want to be able to change the shared data as well as view it.

Sounds good in theory, but how do I set this up? I can't subscribe to my sub's calendars nor can they subscribe to mine. (Or at least, I can't figure how to subscribe.)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrfcobf View Post

Sounds good in theory, but how do I set this up? I can't subscribe to my sub's calendars nor can they subscribe to mine. (Or at least, I can't figure how to subscribe.)

Would it work if you both used the same account on the Mac? You may not want to do that but...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Would it work if you both used the same account on the Mac? You may not want to do that but...

I tried that, but now have the dreaded "inconsistent" data in the calendar error messages popping up :-(
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrfcobf View Post

I tried that, but now have the dreaded "inconsistent" data in the calendar error messages popping up :-(

I fixed the inconsistent data problem, but even syncing events between the computer, the cloud and the iphone is sporadic right now. I think I'll wait on the other calendars. I see how it could be done possibly now, but sheesh - the thing barely works with one calendar!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ha11mha11m Posts: 6member
    've been using a single user .mac account. Up until now I've had both macs registered with this single user account but only syncing the calendar and contacts which worked fine on both macs and both iphones. We've been using individual gmail imap accounts for mail which keeps our individual emails separate but 'live updated' - i.e. once read/deleted etc, it's marked as such on all devices. I tried SpanningSync but it was a disaster for me.. messed everything up.. just google SpanningSync problems and you'll see what I mean. After it switched to mobileme I realised what a great set up it would be and was just thinking of upgrading to a Family Pack when it occurred to me what is being discussed here. I hope I'm missing something and it can be done but I'm guessing at the moment it can't. So just to let you know the above works but it's not as nice... at least I can have the mail haha! She can always log in as me to check and change the calendar. When I say log in as me I mean when she's at work using me.com
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Dear All,

Could you kindly tell me how to share calenders and files on Mac?

I have tried with BusySync but I kept failed.

My boss said the application has provided in mobile me but when I tried to share and publish to my friend, it didn't show up in her calender.

Is is something wrong in the settings on my Mac?