iPhone 3G GPS restrictions

tkntkn
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I was pretty much all set to go and get a 3G. And then I read about the GPS limitations on software - no guidance software allowed.

Now that throws me back into decision making mode. While the 3G is definitely nice, I was also looking forward to getting a GPS device for hiking and driving. Now I have to decide whether to wait for Android or just suck it up in the hope that Apple realizes that this is a ridiculously lame limitation that cripples the device.

Is anyone else irritated?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

I was pretty much all set to go and get a 3G. And then I read about the GPS limitations on software - no guidance software allowed.

Now that throws me back into decision making mode. While the 3G is definitely nice, I was also looking forward to getting a GPS device for hiking and driving. Now I have to decide whether to wait for Android or just suck it up in the hope that Apple realizes that this is a ridiculously lame limitation that cripples the device.

Unless they offer their own turn-by-turn software tout de suite, they should eliminate that restriction. As consumers, we need to let them know what we think of their decision.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Apps Store ASAP

some of these "restriction" just tells me NOT to buy till i see what's on that apps store

voice dialing

gps

etc

etc
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    That's this about then.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=87755

Where are you getting this info from? Apple web site?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Apps Store ASAP

some of these "restriction" just tells me NOT to buy till i see what's on that apps store

voice dialing

gps

etc

etc

My formula is:

app store with good apps = stay jailed

app store with bad apps = jail break
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    maybe tom tom is just sending up flags to see if people would "like tomtom"

http://www.electronista.com/articles...om.iphone.app/
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

Not me... at least not yet.

Perhaps when a 3rd party developer is actually denied distribution on the iPhone apps store, or when Apple launches legal action against a 3rd party developer.

Until then, we don't know what is really going on. Apple may well intend to be heavy handed about this for the sake of their own profit. Or... they might just be covering their ass with their iPhone SDK EULA due to potential patent or trademark pitfalls.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    zaqarovzaqarov Posts: 10member
    Apple is trying to cover its ass. They don't want anyone using an iPhone-controlled container of C4 on wheels blowing up some building and get sued over it.

Apple has always been overprotecting itself in its EULA's. E.g. it is illegal to build nuclear weapons using iTunes... just saying.

Tomtom is actually working on a GPS app (at least that's what I heard). My guess is that Tomtom and Apple have a special agreement that will make Tomtom responsible if anyone uses their app to control a weapon.

x

zaqarov