All right you lot!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought an iMac 24" 2.8 GHz today, and it better be good!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They are pretty good, I have one.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Congrats! And welcome to Steve's World, and mine...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Congrats! And welcome to Steve's World, and mine...

It wasn't my first Mac, just my most recent. I still have 4 others here, including this G5 iMac that I'm posting on now. It's my second iMac, all of the others were towers.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

It wasn't my first Mac, just my most recent. I still have 4 others here, including this G5 iMac that I'm posting on now. It's my second iMac, all of the others were towers.

I have had my 3.06GHz 24" model for a couple of weeks and it (apart from the mouse which I don't like much) is gorgeous.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    have same imac, exactly, it is sickkkk

-it is pretty fast 2.8ghz, haven't tried games on it

-love the huge 24", 1900X1200 resolution on the screen. huge made me get over the macbook and macbook probecuasei love the screen size

-2 gigs of ram is ok but sometimes a little slow, i am going to upgrade to 4gb soon. makes boot up really fast, take 30- 31 seconds to boot-up (fasttttt)

-hard drvie is good and when it full just a usb or firewire will be good, firwire better so have more usb ports

-i have wireless keyboard and mouse and i think it could use more usb, the imac has 3, because i have a printer, ipod dock and tv tuner so i am full, my advice is if you have a lot usb get like a 4 port usb hub for things to use often like a flash drive, ipod, portable external hdd or anything else you need

-leopard is such a great operating system and better than any windows versions

-video card is pretty good, i have the 256mb ati one

-love the isight

- love the keyboard thinness and shortcuts, and the mighty mouse but might get logitech g-9

-one bad thing, if u leave it on for a while in a closed room even with ac it will make the room hot so if u use it make sure your door is open

Overall i love it and it is best purchased i made for a computer, way better than any windows computer (i just switched) and i love it
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post

have same imac, exactly, it is sickkkk

-it is pretty fast 2.8ghz, haven't tried games on it

-love the huge 24", 1900X1200 resolution on the screen. huge made me get over the macbook and macbook probecuasei love the screen size

-2 gigs of ram is ok but sometimes a little slow, i am going to upgrade to 4gb soon. makes boot up really fast, take 30- 31 seconds to boot-up (fasttttt)

-hard drvie is good and when it full just a usb or firewire will be good, firwire better so have more usb ports

-i have wireless keyboard and mouse and i think it could use more usb, the imac has 3, because i have a printer, ipod dock and tv tuner so i am full, my advice is if you have a lot usb get like a 4 port usb hub for things to use often like a flash drive, ipod, portable external hdd or anything else you need

-leopard is such a great operating system and better than any windows versions

-video card is pretty good, i have the 256mb ati one

-love the isight

- love the keyboard thinness and shortcuts, and the mighty mouse but might get logitech g-9

-one bad thing, if u leave it on for a while in a closed room even with ac it will make the room hot so if u use it make sure your door is open

Overall i love it and it is best purchased i made for a computer, way better than any windows computer (i just switched) and i love it

I don't don't like wireless for a keyboard or a mouse. Just wait until your battery goes during a software update. But, I do have a wireless printer. I have some USB hubs, but don't really need them. I don't leave anything connected that's not being used. Same with Firewire, you know that the FW400 port and the FW 800 port are on the same bus? So, if you have a Firewire 400 device connected, that will drop the speed of the 800 port to 400 also.

The display on my 24" is evenly lit, there are no problems with it. Many that I saw at The Apple Store had display issues with uneven lighting.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I'm satisfied with mine, although it is a 2.4 gHz... I'm not one to really notice the difference.

I went with just a wireless mouse, my keyboard is wired because I preferred a full-size keyboard. My printer is also wireless. I'm also really satisfied with my display, there were many problems with them shortly after I bought it, luckily I was unaffected.

Congrats on the purchase, it's good to be a step ahead so you'll be alright when PPC bites the dust.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    debenmdebenm Posts: 99member
    I bought one about a month ago... GREAT PURCHASE! I had a iMac g5 a few years ago and still love my MBP, but the 24" iMac is a great machine. People walk in my office and drool over it constantly.

I bought with 2gig of ram because upgrades are cheaper elsewhere ~ has worked very well so far, but I'll probably up it to 4gig in a month or so... anyone up their ram with 3rd party and have a recommendation?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debenm View Post

anyone up their ram with 3rd party and have a recommendation?

macsales.com
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

The price is right on that iMac. In 2002, I bought a 22" ACD that cost $2500. The computer, G4 800MHz was around $1800.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debenm View Post

I bought one about a month ago... GREAT PURCHASE! I had a iMac g5 a few years ago and still love my MBP, but the 24" iMac is a great machine. People walk in my office and drool over it constantly.

I bought with 2gig of ram because upgrades are cheaper elsewhere ~ has worked very well so far, but I'll probably up it to 4gig in a month or so... anyone up their ram with 3rd party and have a recommendation?

Sure, here's a couple of good ones:

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...estTimeOut=500

Then there's OWC, who offers more choices, but at higher prices:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...2_Duo_PC2-6400

All three places are great, and the modules have a lifetime guarantee.I ordered mine from the second one, but I really don't think that anyone could tell the difference once the modules are mounted in the iMac. Good luck.