iPhone 3G seen 'repeating history' with record 14m sales in 2008

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The impact of the iPhone 3G's faster Internet access, new markets, third-party apps, and very low pricing should trigger a new sales rush that does for the iPhone what 2005 accomplished for the iPod, according to a new report from RBC Capital Markets.

Analyst Mike Abramsky of the bank makes the historical connection by noting that Apple's careful management of the iPhone could once again lead to a "breakout" in shipments, which the analyst predicts will triple in the summer to 5.1 million and nearly double last year's holiday volume to 6.5 million, pushing the Cupertino, Calif.-based company well past its official 10 million-unit goal for the year to as many as 14 million phones.

"We believe investors are underestimating the upside to Apple from lower iPhone pricing, 3G speeds and expanded global distribution," Abramsky says.

The researcher notes that late 2005 was a watershed moment for Apple and saw the firm more than double its holiday iPod sales at the time to 14 million units, cementing the player's position in the marketplace.

Abramsky in particular sees the iPhone 3G's price as doubling sales momentum by itself. The $199 subsidized price is labeled a "sweet spot" for most buyers and should still put the iPhone on par with other pay-as-you-go smartphones in Europe, which often near or exceed the iPhone's €499 price in Italy and other countries that will offer a non-subscription alternative.

The low price may also create an unusual upgrade path for iPod owners, the analyst says: with the device cost in line with many iPods, a "massive" amount of the 150 million existing iPod owners may trade up to an iPhone rather than simply replace their iPods with newer equivalents.

That success is only expected by Abramsky to continue into next year. Apple's total potential user base for the iPhone will expand by at least five times by the end of 2008 and, barring shortages or launch problems, is estimated to lead to as many as 24 million iPhones shipped over the course of 2009.

Shares of Apple rose $4.47 or more than 2.5 percent to close at $176.84 on the Nasdaq stock market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    only 14m? I would hazard a guess slightly more than that. but who knows
  • Reply 2 of 45
    boss1boss1 Posts: 40member
    Big difference between then and now and between iPod and iPhone.

iPod:

At the time 75% of the country didn't know what the heck an iPod was. That was part of the potential for so much growth since.

iPhone:

Today , iPhone is a household name, and the sales numbers are what they are. The 3G version will sell to a broader market and a fraction of current iPhone owners.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

only 14m? I would hazard a guess slightly more than that. but who knows

I think so too. Especially if Apple doesn't lower the price of iPods for awhile. For instance, if they keep iPod prices?sans the iPod Touch which seems inevitable for change come July 11th?until the fall when they refresh at or near the end of the Back To School period we may see a lot of people buying iPhones with the idea that it consolidates their iPod and phone, while offering greater functionality. Can we see 15 Million from July 11th to December 31st with sales in an upcoming 75 countries? What will the stock be as the new pricepoint and number of countries with official retailers has not been factored into the current value?
  • Reply 4 of 45
    I don't think it's possible to underestimate how well the iPhone will sell. But the stock price is taking a well deserved breather considering that there are no iPhones to be sold and folks shopping for a phone will go to Palm centro or Blackberry because of the impulse buy. Apple made a huge blunder by not having product ready while it has got everyones attention. But soon July 11th will be here and all will be forgiven.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think so too. Especially if Apple doesn't lower the price of iPods for awhile. For instance, if they keep iPod prices?sans the iPod Touch which seems inevitable for change come July 11th?until the fall when they refresh at or near the end of the Back To School period we may see a lot of people buying iPhones with the idea that it consolidates their iPod and phone, while offering greater functionality. Can we see 15 Million from July 11th to December 31st with sales in an upcoming 75 countries? What will the stock be as the new pricepoint and number of countries with official retailers has not been factored into the current value?

the way you ask those questions makes me think you got back in at around $170
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

the way you ask those questions makes me think you got back in at around $170

Actually, I did. I sold prior to the WWDC in the high 180s. I had planned to get in after teh drop that day but forget to setup the auto-purchase when the stock hit a certain point. Luckily for me, that drop which appears to have been foolishly based on Job's health get me in many points lower than I had intended. My stupidity worked in my favour this time.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Actually, I did. I sold prior to the WWDC in the high 180s. I had planned to get in after teh drop that day but forget to setup the auto-purchase when the stock hit a certain point. Luckily for me, that drop which appears to have been foolishly based on Job's health get me in many points lower than I had intended. My stupidity worked in my favour this time.

I was wondering when you bought back in. I saw you said you were going to sell pre-event. Sounds like it worked out well for you.

I promised myself when I bought that I would take a long position. I'm afraid if I start buying and selling I will either drive myself crazy or get greedy and take a beating. But if I knew I could make money by being stupid... I would be set!
  • Reply 8 of 45
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakePhone View Post

I don't think it's possible to underestimate how well the iPhone will sell.

I think Apple will sell 17 iPhones in the next quarter.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    well its kinda weird with new iPhone. Im still thinking to buy or not to buy. The whole ATT deal and the price drop is a trick. =)

I think apple will attract 60% new customers and 40% of the older owners. Maybe 13-Million is a reasonable point.

Remember that some people base their phone buy on features like MMS and Copy&Paste, which we all use SOOO MUUCHH! (sarcasm)

=)
  • Reply 10 of 45
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

well its kinda weird with new iPhone. Im still thinking to buy or not to buy. The whole ATT deal and the price drop is a trick. =)

I think apple will attract 60% new customers and 40% of the older owners. Maybe 13-Million is a reasonable point.

Remember that some people base their phone buy on features like MMS and Copy&Paste, which we all use SOOO MUUCHH! (sarcasm)

=)

its true. I don't know anyone who uses MMS. I hardly ever sent pictures from my phone but since I got my iPhone I sent loads using email. (mms costs 30-50p per message)

The only single thing I want is the ability to forward SMS messages. I get sent loads of jokes but I can't forward them to my mates without having to retype the whole message.

Not a major issue any its certainly not stopping me from upgrading my iPhone on the 11th of July.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    The iPhones sales in all foreign markets will be affected by the individual carriers price. In Ireland the initial launch had such a punitive pricing structure that the iPhone barely made a splash. I am waiting to see if O2 removes the 1Gb. monthly download limit on July 11th before I consider a purchase.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you want a contract the iPhone is quite cheap in Ireland. At this price I can see them selling a few.

It's:

Quote:

€99 on the €65 tariff and €169 on the €45 tariff

• Reply 13 of 45
    My wife lost her 8GB iPhone about a month ago. My iPhone is also an 8GB, both purchased on day 1. We have a family plan that runs $130/month incl tax and 700 min/month. We have 5000 rollover minutes available. I am not sure what the new charges will be if I give her my iPhone and buy an iPhone 3G for myself. The data rate for the new iPhone will be $30 with no SMS, the data for the old will be $20 with 200 SMS. I suppose the rate with be about $141 incl tax. I also assume that I can use some of the 200 SMS on my iPhone 3G, but that may not be the case. My two $100 rebates will pay for the new phone.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I think Apple will sell 17 iPhones in the next quarter.

I think you're wrong

- they'll only sell 12!

• Reply 15 of 45
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    It's nice that ATT is giving you the option to upgrade and sign a new contract...every other carrier makes you sign an additional 2 yr contract if you try to upgrade before your contract expires, or you have to pay full retail price on the phone.

How do I sell my old iphone? Will someone be able to take my iphone and sim to an ATT store to get it activated? Will the revenue sharing plans still be available to 2.5G iphone owners post July 11th?
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Odd, because I don't know many people that don't send MMS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

its true. I don't know anyone who uses MMS. I hardly ever sent pictures from my phone but since I got my iPhone I sent loads using email. (mms costs 30-50p per message)

The only single thing I want is the ability to forward SMS messages. I get sent loads of jokes but I can't forward them to my mates without having to retype the whole message.

Not a major issue any its certainly not stopping me from upgrading my iPhone on the 11th of July.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone will sell well, despite some of the features it lacks.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    boss1boss1 Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I'm pretty sure the iPhone will sell well, despite some of the features it lacks.

And probably a lot more when Apple announces the 32GB version in time for the Christmas shopping season
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boss1 View Post

And probably a lot more when Apple announces the 32GB version in time for the Christmas shopping season

If las year was an indicator the Flash update will occur after the holidays in January.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Quote:

I was wondering when you bought back in. I saw you said you were going to sell pre-event. Sounds like it worked out well for you.

I promised myself when I bought that I would take a long position. I'm afraid if I start buying and selling I will either drive myself crazy or get greedy and take a beating. But if I knew I could make money by being stupid... I would be set!

That was very funny!
  • Reply 20 of 45
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

The mantra when I worked at Schwab was:

Bears make money,

Bulls make money,

Pigs lose money.