Transferring data to new Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Which is a better way to go when upgrading to a new Mac?

1. FireWire cable from old to new Mac using Setup Assistant

OR

2. Backup (SuperDuper) to an external HDD and then to the new Mac from the HDD

What is the difference?

Is anyone familiar with Superduper's Safety Clone? How does that work?

Has anyone used SuperDuper to create a disk image of your computer. I tried it and it didn't work.

I emailed Shirt Pocket and was told to forget about it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Setup assistant was very straight forward for me. When the transfer was done all my files, Applications, and settings (right down to browser histories) were on my iMac. I didn't need to any of the reconfiguring I typically had to do with a new Machine.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    BenRoethig

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Which is a better way to go when upgrading to a new Mac?

1. FireWire cable from old to new Mac using Setup Assistant

OR

2. Backup (SuperDuper) to an external HDD and then to the new Mac from the HDD

What is the difference?

Is anyone familiar with Superduper's Safety Clone? How does that work?

Has anyone used SuperDuper to create a disk image of your computer. I tried it and it didn't work.

I emailed Shirt Pocket and was told to forget about it.

I've wondered if you can clone the HDD from one Mac(ie, a MBP) to another(say an iMac). Isn't there differences in the firmware that will cause problems?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I've wondered if you can clone the HDD from one Mac(ie, a MBP) to another(say an iMac). Isn't there differences in the firmware that will cause problems?

It doesn't matter in most cases, which is awesome.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I tried to use the Migration Assistant to transfer settings from my MacBook to my iMac and it didn't work. My new iMac had a bad SuperDrive, and Apple sent me a new one. I used a Time Machine backup and it worked flawlessly.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    If you have photoshop CS 3, you must de-activate it from the old machine, then re-activate it on the new one. This is all done online, so you must have each machine online to accomplish the task. Please don't try to run both machines online at the same time. just go online with the old machine and launch PS, go to the help menu and de=activate PS CS 3, then either turn the machine off, or take it offline. Finally, go online with the new machine, launch PS, go to the help menu and hit activate. You're done, Adobe handles it all after a few simple mouse clicks from you.

Since CS 3 only allows two activations per purchase, it is paramount that you follow Adobe's directive, or lose the ability use your copy PS CS 3.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    batbat Posts: 47member
    Setup Assistant via Firewire is - by far - the easiest and most complete way of transferring your info.