Help with Home Network Monitoring...?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Here is the issue....

I have 2 Macs and 2 PCs sharing a Cable Modem with a SMC Router. My Router was setup with software from my PC, I thought that was more "compatible". I've had several people help me with the network and now I am having strange behavior...

Is there anything for OSX that will tell me what my network is "requesting"?? And, what packets are being sent?? And, where they are going??

The built in Network Utility doesn't tell me anything that I understand

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dali:

<strong>Here is the issue....</strong><hr></blockquote>

[quote]I have 2 Macs and 2 PCs sharing a Cable Modem with a SMC Router. My Router was setup with software from my PC, I thought that was more "compatible". I've had several people help me with the network and now I am having strange behavior...<hr></blockquote>

what kind of "strange behavior"?

a dsl-router is optimal for a small mixed network.

-configure the router (click "ok" a couple of times)

-plug in your boxes

-give em different tcp/ip numbers

-voila!

[quote]Is there anything for OSX that will tell me what my network is "requesting"?? And, what packets are being sent?? And, where they are going??<hr></blockquote>

"requesting"?

what you are talking about is a packetfilter.

but it will only show you thousands of packets going all over the network.

..and will probably not help you.

[quote]The built in Network Utility doesn't tell me anything that I understand <hr></blockquote>

i would check on the tcp/ip numbers.

somthing like:

mac 1: 195.65.00.01

mac 2: 195.65.00.02

pc 1: 195.65.00.03

pc 2: 195.65.00.04
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Peve is right. It will probably not solve the problem but if you really whant to, just run "tcpdump -i en0" (or replace "en0" with the network dexice name) as root. That will dump a list of all the packages sent over the network (unless it´s swiched).

Have fun!