Time Machine hiccup??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Time Machine has worked excellent from December to May, without incident. The first week in May I started to get error messages that the backup volume was too large for the existing GB available. It was saying that it required 108.0GB but that only 107.4GB was available. The external HD is 250GBs and there's NO way that it's full. Then the backups just stopped. I added programs to the "do not back up list", to no avail. The back ups just stopped. The error messages said something about "read only". Then one day, they started again. I cannot figure out why. THEN, I opened Time Machine to find that ALL the history from December to May was gone!!!! Where I used to be able to click on any date on the sidebar in Time Machine and go to that day, to see what was backed up....I cannot do this any longer! ALL the back up is gone! Where did ALL this back up go? What the heck happened?? Now Time Machine says," 206.1GB available of 232.8GB" Cannot figure out what happened?? Any ideas??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Time machine kind of sucks.

Go to the sharing pref panel and give you computer a name if it doesn't have one. Then reselect the backup disk and try again.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    I don't know if this is your problem or not but take a look at this from tidbits.com. http://db.tidbits.com/article/9620
  • Reply 3 of 13
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Been using Time Machine on two different Macs since its release and have had no issues. I love it.

Question, do you really need that backup data? I'd restore anything you think you might want and then format the drive and start from scratch.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    realrdprealrdp Posts: 4member
    Computer has a name. I am trying to figure out Where all the "back up history" went to, that was on Time Machine, from May 15th back to December. Why was I able to look back in time on Time Machine(back to December) and now I can only look back to May 15th. PLUS, the back ups are Not daily, as they once were, but are now intermittent at best, with no consistent schedule.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Time machine kind of sucks.

Go to the sharing pref panel and give you computer a name if it doesn't have one. Then reselect the backup disk and try again.

• Reply 5 of 13
    Why can't I look back in time on Time Machine? I used to be able to look back to December, but Time Machine only shows history to May 15th. Time Machine will not show the date of the previous back up either, until I turn the Time Machine switch off and turn it back on again. It won't show the net back up until I toggle the switch either. Time Machine never acted this way, until May 15th.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Been using Time Machine on two different Macs since its release and have had no issues. I love it.

Question, do you really need that backup data? I'd restore anything you think you might want and then format the drive and start from scratch.

• Reply 6 of 13
    Sounds like TM may have gotten corrupted on or about May 15th. Either that or it erased all the backups prior to May 15th because it didn't have enough room.

Again, if this were my computer, I would format my back up drive and start TM from scratch with a fresh backup

You can always turn on the feature that warns you before backups are deleted
  • Reply 7 of 13
    My wife's machine stopped backing up to TC and I had to delete and start over. Kinda kills the whole "incremental backup" idea when you have to delete the image and start over.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Regarding Time Machine, I hope Apple is paying attention to all the support websites and issues, concerning these bugs. There needs to be a fixit and the sooner the better. Time Machine is an integral part of Leopard and I'd hate to think that I purchased OS 10.5.3 too early!

RDP1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

My wife's machine stopped backing up to TC and I had to delete and start over. Kinda kills the whole "incremental backup" idea when you have to delete the image and start over.

• Reply 9 of 13
    junkerjunker Posts: 1member
    Same here! Simply Terrible!

I have Dec 07-May 19th back ups that are now apparently unaccessable!!!

I had my Lacie 500GB external disconnected until earlier today since may 19th, but now its all totally un-retrievable (other than today's back up) and I don't use this external HDD for anything other than this.

I'm VERY annoyed and disappointed by this situation. I was actually attempting to retrieve a couple of files from a few months back and I guess it was terrible waste of time and money... VERY BAD apple

>
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junker View Post

Same here! Simply Terrible!

I have Dec 07-May 19th back ups that are now apparently unaccessable!!!

I had my Lacie 500GB external disconnected until earlier today since may 19th, but now its all totally un-retrievable (other than today's back up) and I don't use this external HDD for anything other than this.

I'm VERY annoyed and disappointed by this situation. I was actually attempting to retrieve a couple of files from a few months back and I guess it was terrible waste of time and money... VERY BAD apple

>

If you are using a external drive, not TC, you should be able to find the file you need on the drive. Apple stores the back up as flat files with hard links for different version.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    This is from Apple Support discussion thread

Time Machine is NOT meant to archive files.

It CONSTANTLY thins out, deleting all but one daily backup per day, and all but one weekly backup per week.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    And another post that says you cannot use anything but Numbers and Letters in the name of your Mac

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306928
  • Reply 13 of 13
    More that says you may have to reformat your drive after 10gigs of backups reached

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1550?viewlocale=en_US

Also, some external HD's come with a feature that may put the drive to sleep and Time Machine will not wake it up

Over 150 Apple support articles here for those of you having issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...Time%20Machine