Back to my Mac and Connect to Server problems

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A few questions and concerns, help and comments most appreciated.

I have been helping a friend try to get communication between her Macbook Pro and Home Desktop. Very frustrating as she needed this working for a business trip.

She has a G4 at home running Leopard. Using Telus DSL Modem/Router (2Wire)

She purchased the trial version of .Mac.

Initially, while still at home, was able to do screen sharing from her laptop to the desktop. Next day however, it wasn't working properly. I have read about the problems BTMM has with certain routers.

When she was away on her trip, I tried to get her to connect to her desktop using Connect to Server. Her desktop did not appear under Shared Devices)

No go. I was unable to connect to her laptop as she was in a hotel and did not have a Public IP.

This morning she was unable to connect with her Macbook Pro to my iMac at home and I am using Time Capsule connected to Fibre, and I have a Public IP Address. I had set up all the permissions.

We were however able to use iChat screen sharing, which we were unable to do off her G4 desktop.

I am almost always able to connect to my iMac from my MBA and either do screen sharing or Folder viewing.

So, here are my questions:

Does the trial version of .Mac allow for using Back to my Mac or Connect to Server?

Should a Shared Mac always appear in the Shared Devices? (Assuming its always on)

What could be a reason that Connect to Server won't work?

Does a user have to have different user names for their laptop and desktop

Thanks for any advice or help.