OS X and Win XP - simple file transfer

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi there - I have an OS X Mac and a Win XP system on the same LAN and want to shove files back and forth. I know I can buy Dave to do this, but Apple talk about using SMB as a way of making the systems talk. How do I do this? I want the Mac to see the PC files and vice versa and be able to transfer them. Perhaps FTP is another method so advise on how to set that up would also be appreciated - Many thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tristantristan Posts: 79member
    [quote]Originally posted by ianm:

<strong>Hi there - I have an OS X Mac and a Win XP system on the same LAN and want to shove files back and forth. I know I can buy Dave to do this, but Apple talk about using SMB as a way of making the systems talk. How do I do this? I want the Mac to see the PC files and vice versa and be able to transfer them. Perhaps FTP is another method so advise on how to set that up would also be appreciated - Many thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

For FTP assuming you are already a part of the domain/workgroup/whatever lan. Go to sharing on your mac under sys. prefs. Turn file sharing on and check allow FTP access. Go to your winxp maching and from prompt type ftp [ip address of your mac] (ex ftp 192.168.x.x) then it will prompt for you username and pass. Then cd to dir you want to put a file. put filename will put a file get file will get a file... mput and mget will do multiple files. got it?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    What does it take to get X and windows file sharing to work?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jpjp Posts: 19member
    You need to set up a little network. Give the XP machine an IP address like 10.0.1.1, the PowerBook on 10.0.1.2 and put them on the 255.255.0.0 subnet mask. Then set up sharing on the XP machine and select which folders to share. Then use the Go menu on the PowerBook (or Apple - K) and select Connect to Server. Then you need to type in the following:

smb://machinename/sharename

So if the computer is called Bob and the folder you've shared is called Tunes, it would be:

smb://Bob/Tunes

It doesn't seem to work if there are any spaces or weird characters in the names, so Bob's Computer would probably not work.

Fortunately the new version of X has a proper network browser, sadly its not out yet so its still a little messy.

JP.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    posterboyposterboy Posts: 147member
    Check this page out, It gives pretty good instructions.

<a href="http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/sharing/network.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/sharing/network.html</a>;

--PB
  • Reply 5 of 7
    You could take the simple route and tranfer files using AOL instant messenger or MSN messenger.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    [quote]Originally posted by JP:

<strong>You need to set up a little network.......

JP.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks a million for that tip. That'll help a ton! I've been FTP'ing everything back and forth for a while now.

:eek:
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>You could take the simple route and tranfer files using AOL instant messenger or MSN messenger.</strong><hr></blockquote>

"Simple"? LOL