Why Not Put the Processor and Motherboard Behind the Laptop's Screen?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As I sit here with my MacBook on my lap burning a hole in my jeans, it struck me, is there any reason not to put the guts of the computer behind the screen? Maybe leave a few components under the keyboard so the base is at a comfortable angle (similar to the MacBook Air), but migrate the heat generating elements to the back of screen where it's probably easier to dissipate the heat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Because it would be top-heavy and fall over, and it would look stupid. The latter reason is probably more important to Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    The screen generates heat also.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Heat from the processor would be detrimental to the screen. The extra weight would also make the machine more likely to tip over. A better solution would be asbestos pants.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    It would only tip if the battery, HD and optical drive were there. With the battery, DVD and HD left in the base, the battery could even be made bigger. It would then be pretty heavy though.

The circuitry could be put behind the display near the base.

The biggest issue besides the heat affecting the screen I'd say is the fact that the ports are soldered onto the motherboard directly and I'd rather not have USB, ethernet, Firewire etc coming out the sides of the screen.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post

As I sit here with my MacBook on my lap burning a hole in my jeans, it struck me, is there any reason not to put the guts of the computer behind the screen? Maybe leave a few components under the keyboard so the base is at a comfortable angle (similar to the MacBook Air), but migrate the heat generating elements to the back of screen where it's probably easier to dissipate the heat.

That's why Apple calls them notebooks instead of laptops!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    It's been done:

• Reply 7 of 10
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The OLPC has the motherboard behind the screen, but its design is quite different from other laptops.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf View Post

The OLPC has the motherboard behind the screen, but its design is quite different from other laptops.

It also uses a 0.8 Watt processor.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    It will be top heavy as long a physical keyboard is used. That will change in a couple of years though when things go touch screen.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Some ULCPCs do that, but they look like crap.

And they're not that stable either, understandably.