MobileMe and "push"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I seem to be slightly confused on the whole "push" concept and was hoping somebody could set me straight.

My original thought was that the whole concept of "push" uses SMS messages for more real-time delivery, or at least notification. Is that the case with MobileMe? Am I going to have to shell out the 99$ for MobileMe, and then shell out more with AT&T for extra SMS messages so I don't get charged per message after I use all the ones from the plan?

Or am I wrong about push using SMS messages?

Help a confused guy out, lol.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    i don't believe the push service has anything to do with sms. i think it's just a real-time push notification system that's used so that the phone doesn't need a persistent connection. it might run on the same network for all i know but i don't think it would count against your sms messages.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    No, its not SMS based. Its more like Apple's version of an exchange server.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Mobile me is email, contacts and calendar. Push means automatic, e.g. when a email comes in it lets you know when it appears on your phone, you don't have to set your phone to keep checking for email just in case one comes in (i.e. it's pushed to you). Similarly when you add or change a contact, or add or adjust a calendar event you don't have to do anything else, automatically all the rest of your devices get changed too. It's all automatic. Still not quite worth €99 ($99) though in my opinion. Apple should have gotten really aggressive at €39 ($39) or something like it I think. They should have used it to help sell iPhones, iPod touches and Macs, and not simply fleeced their loyal users.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mobile me is email, contacts and calendar. Push means automatic, e.g. when a email comes in it lets you know when it appears on your phone, you don't have to set your phone to keep checking for email just in case one comes in (i.e. it's pushed to you). Similarly when you add or change a contact, or add or adjust a calendar event you don't have to do anything else, automatically all the rest of your devices get changed too. It's all automatic. Still not quite worth ?99 ($99) though in my opinion. Apple should have gotten really aggressive at ?39 ($39) or something like it I think. They should have used it to help sell iPhones, iPod touches and Macs, and not simply fleeced their loyal users.

I agree. Also, what would have made it really worth it to me is the ability to push POP/IMAP email addresses. I like push contacts, but I really would rather not move over to me.com.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mobile me is email, contacts and calendar. Push means automatic, e.g. when a email comes in it lets you know when it appears on your phone, you don't have to set your phone to keep checking for email just in case one comes in (i.e. it's pushed to you). Similarly when you add or change a contact, or add or adjust a calendar event you don't have to do anything else, automatically all the rest of your devices get changed too. It's all automatic. Still not quite worth €99 ($99) though in my opinion. Apple should have gotten really aggressive at €39 ($39) or something like it I think. They should have used it to help sell iPhones, iPod touches and Macs, and not simply fleeced their loyal users.

All correct except $99 doesn't just deliver Push capability. It gives you everything .Mac did i.e. mail, calendar, contacts, website, idisk (up to 20 gig), web galleries, etc. Does MySpace or FaceBook offer all that? How bout Microsoft Live and Google? Pretty good deal for all the services it offers.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

All correct except $99 doesn't just deliver Push capability.

Oh I know what it gives you boy. You can save your buts for someone else. No offense meant, I'm just not buying Steve bullshit anymore.