can i connect to local network but limit access to the internet?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi

i am trying to hook up a mac mini to a local wireless network (airport express) so that i can access a shared iTunes library but i do not want the mac mini to be able to access the internet (other macs on the network need to be able to access the internet). is there a way to change the settings on the mac mini so that this is possible?

thanks

nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post

hi

i am trying to hook up a mac mini to a local wireless network (airport express) so that i can access a shared iTunes library but i do not want the mac mini to be able to access the internet (other macs on the network need to be able to access the internet). is there a way to change the settings on the mac mini so that this is possible?

thanks

nick

Check out Parental Controls in the Accounts portion of System Preferences. This may be more restrictive than you want but you can set it so that only certain (including none) web sites are allowed. You can also set it so that Safari, or any other chosen browser could not be run.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post

hi

thanks

nick

Give the Mini a static IP address but do not configure the Gateway