Three says Hong Kong iPhone plans to start at $24 per month

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hutchison Telecom, which operates the "3"- branded mobile network in Hong Kong, announced Monday that monthly service plans for Apple's iPhone 3G will start at just $24, significantly less than the cheapest plan offered stateside by AT&T.

Subscribers who sign up for a 24-month contract can purchase an 8GB iPhone 3G for about $377 ($2938 HKD) or a 16GB model for around $479 ($3738 HKD) when choosing a $24 ($188 HKD) per month service plan that includes 500 basic minutes, 500 heart-to-heart minutes, 25 multimedia content messages, 15 text content messages, 500 MB of data usage and unlimited Intra SMS messages.

A $34 per month plan subsidizes the 8GB iPhone to $233 ($1738 HKD) and the 16GB model to $326 ($2538 HKD) and includes 800 basic minutes, 900 heart-to-heart minutes, 40 multimedia content messages, 25 text content messages, 500 MB of data usage and unlimited Intra SMS messages.

Stepping up to a $42 per month plan reduces the cost of the 8GB iPhone to $128 ($938 HKD) and the 16GB model to $223 ($1738 HKD) and bundles 1500 basic minutes, 1200 heart-to-heart minutes, 50 multimedia content messages, 35 text content messages, 500 MB of data usage and unlimited Intra SMS messages.

Subscribers who opt for 3's top-tier plan at $64 per month get an 8GB iPhone for free, or a 16GB for less than $20 ($138 HKD). The plan includes 2200 basic minutes, 1500 heart-to-heart minutes, 150 multimedia content messages, 50 text content messages, unlimited data usage and unlimited Intra SMS messages.

Readers can compare these plans to those recently announced by Rogers of Canada, TeliaSonera of Sweden, and Netcom of Norway.

iPhone 3G service plans offered by "3" in Hong Kong.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Interesting - The phone plan mentions media content, presumably MMS messages. Either they haven't updated their phone plans to account for the fact that the iPhone lacks this feature, or they just leaked a feature not yet announced. Hoping for the latter, but I'm tired of hoping for features for the iPhone that never come.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    500MB of data is worse than Rogers. Why do carriers ignore that the iPhone is a phone THAT BROWSES THE WEB. Sigh.

At least with AT&T, they have a 5GB soft-cap that would require epic web-surfing to use up.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Is it possible that a carrier could write an APP for the phone that could send MMS over it's own network?
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Fact is that HK has such high population density that the whole 3G data thing isn't important. They have WiFi EVERYWHERE - if you're signed up for internet in your home then you generally have WiFi access anywhere and everywhere in the city.

the benefits of living in big, dense asian cities :-)
  • Reply 5 of 53
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

500MB of data is worse than Rogers. Why do carriers ignore that the iPhone is a phone THAT BROWSES THE WEB. Sigh.

At least with AT&T, they have a 5GB soft-cap that would require epic web-surfing to use up.

Yeah but the $64/month plan gets you both a free iPhone and unlimited data. That's far better than AT&T, let alone Rogers.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    whuzzawhuzza Posts: 4member
    Quote:

The cheapest iPhone 3G plan on Rogers Wireless is $75 USD (300MB/150 minutes), after the system access fee and sales taxes are added in. 3's iPhone 3G plan is $24 USD (500MB/500 minutes), period. There is no sales tax in Hong Kong.

So explain to me, how a plan that gives 200 MB more access with 350 more minutes for $50 less a month is worse?

At the highest tier, $64 USD, you get unlimited data access at a cost even cheaper than AT&T's iPhone plans. I'm assuming a $30-40 plan + $30 data access + sales taxes.

At least 3 is giving customers the option of choosing a capped plan or an unlimited one. And at a better rate than what a U.S. AT&T customer would pay, too.

Rogers, on the other hand, gives us no options, data access rates that are among the highest in the world, and no unlimited plans to speak of.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    can someone explain why multimedia content is not considered data, so it shouldn't be included with the unlimited data? Is there such a thing as a multimedia router that routes multimedia signal? Are they using different packet headers? what?
  • Reply 8 of 53
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    I wonder what's up with the lack of text messages. I mean even on the unlimited plan they are virtually non-existant. I think I've sent/received 50 text messages this morning alone!

Do people just not text message unless you're on the same network (I'm assuming that's what Intra SMS means)?
  • Reply 9 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whuzza View Post

The cheapest iPhone 3G plan on Rogers Wireless is $75 USD (300MB/150 minutes), after the system access fee and sales taxes are added in. 3's iPhone 3G plan is $24 USD (500MB/500 minutes), period. There is no sales tax in Hong Kong.

So explain to me, how a plan that gives 200 MB more access with 350 more minutes for $50 less a month is worse?

At the highest tier, $64 USD, you get unlimited data access at a cost even cheaper than AT&T's iPhone plans. I'm assuming a $30-40 plan + $30 data access + sales taxes.

At least 3 is giving customers the option of choosing a capped plan or an unlimited one. And at a better rate than what a U.S. AT&T customer would pay, too.

Rogers, on the other hand, gives us no options, data access rates that are among the highest in the world, and no unlimited plans to speak of.

So the parent poster flunked basic math, nothing new here.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    odaiwaiodaiwai Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I wonder what's up with the lack of text messages. I mean even on the unlimited plan they are virtually non-existant. I think I've sent/received 50 text messages this morning alone!

Do people just not text message unless you're on the same network (I'm assuming that's what Intra SMS means)?

People here don't send too many SMS because typing in Chinese is a pain in the butt.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pachomius View Post

Fact is that HK has such high population density that the whole 3G data thing isn't important. They have WiFi EVERYWHERE - if you're signed up for internet in your home then you generally have WiFi access anywhere and everywhere in the city.

the benefits of living in big, dense asian cities :-)

No, there isn't Wifi everywhere. There's the main telco's wifi at some places, if you've paid for it, but it's not secure and it's not cheap. If you've signed up for PCCW (the old Hong Kong Telecom) you can get wireless, but you also get possibly the world's worst support and you will not be able to cancel your service.

There's a government Wifi system if you're in Government premises.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Even though you got it right in the Table. But you manage to get it ALL wrong inside the article.

It is Heart to Heart Minutes, Not Heart to Hear. Funny this typo keep repeating itself.

And this so called Heart to Heart min are basically minutes for when you are calling the same network.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    What I want to know is: what kind of plan can the hundreds of thousands of existing iPhone owners here get?

I've got an unlockd V1 iPhone, and I'm a Three customer. I want an unlimited data plan without paying for a 3G iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    sho38sho38 Posts: 21member
    Quote:

But at $64/mth, you get unlimited data...and NO TAX on top.

Talk about affordable! At $24/mth...you get all these!
  • Reply 15 of 53
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sho38 View Post

But at $64/mth, you get unlimited data...and NO TAX on top.

Talk about affordable! At $24/mth...you get all these!

Free 8GB iPhone (~$200 value)

2200 minutes (5x the minutes AT&T $70/mo plan)

50txt (low but can be upgraded)

unlimited intra-network TXT

unlimited data

$64/mo

Excellent deal after you add some extra txt messages!
  • Reply 16 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Boy, get ready for people complaining with carriers not giving unlimited data plans. I use about 1.3GB/month on Edge, but about half my use or better is on WiFi. The whole idea of 3G is to be able to use the network.

People are going to be surprised when they get their bills!
  • Reply 17 of 53
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by odaiwai View Post

People here don't send too many SMS because typing in Chinese is a pain in the butt.

Ah - good point - hadn't really thought about that. So what do people do instead? Is the culture just to call them or are they far more engrained into sending e-mail than we are?
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Ah - good point - hadn't really thought about that. So what do people do instead? Is the culture just to call them or are they far more engrained into sending e-mail than we are?

well... this situation is only suitable for iphone thou... becuz i spend whole 15mins to type a 30words chinese sms on iphone but thousand n thousand words of n95(yea...i know...my typing is too slow...) actually $28 is fuXking expansive for the plan as it only have 500mins. i m not sure about us but in uk u will receive phone calls for free but not in hk. i m a 3 user as well, a normal 3G price plan is 128HKD(16USD) for 1200 normal mins and 800 same S.P. mins *without contract* of cuz u can sign up a contract with this price plan with other phone.

O, By the way...we dont have any tax yet in HK.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradpliner View Post

Interesting - The phone plan mentions media content, presumably MMS messages. Either they haven't updated their phone plans to account for the fact that the iPhone lacks this feature, or they just leaked a feature not yet announced. Hoping for the latter, but I'm tired of hoping for features for the iPhone that never come.

To clarify:

3 offers content of their own such as news, weather, traffic, music, sport related news, etc., and they could be video (news report, music video, sports highlight, etc...) or text messages (traffic condition, lottery numbers, etc...). that's what the media contents are, not mms / sms msg.

One thing I couldn't help wondering though is how much they are going to charge for sms msg that are sent to networks outside of 3. So I have unlimited Intra sms, what about my friends who are not using 3? Btw, sms is very common in HK esp for teens here.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by odaiwai View Post

No, there isn't Wifi everywhere. There's the main telco's wifi at some places, if you've paid for it, but it's not secure and it's not cheap. If you've signed up for PCCW (the old Hong Kong Telecom) you can get wireless, but you also get possibly the world's worst support and you will not be able to cancel your service.

There's a government Wifi system if you're in Government premises.

depends on what you mean by cheap - compared to the US? I can't find my last bill for internet service, but BBWiFi is everywhere and fast/good - Can you tell me anywhere in the US where you get "good" support? I can cancel my service after the service time is over. Besides - what kid of "support" do you need? I've never needed anything.

Anyway - I can't imagine that I'll ever need a data plan for my phone since it's got WiFi - HK is pretty hooked up - but I will admit... it's not as good as Korea or Japan