Netherlands, Australia's Telstra get iPhone; Edmonton store; more

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Joining fellow Down Under carriers Optus and Vodafone, Telstra on Monday announced itself as the next official iPhone 3G carrier and has provided early launch details.

The carrier will join its competitors in launching the Apple cellphone on July 11th and follows other providers' strategies of changing the device subsidy depending on the cost of a subscriber's monthly plan. Those subscribing to a base $30 Australian plan will pay $279 for an 8GB iPhone 3G or $399 for the 16GB version, while subscribers can obtain the 8GB phone for free with an $80 monthly plan and the 16GB handset for free with a $100 plan.

The company has unusually avoided talk of any data transfer caps or calling minutes but notes that all plans will require a two-year contract and will provide free Wi-Fi access at all Telstra-run hotspots.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company has unusually avoided talk of any data transfer caps or calling minutes but notes that all plans will require a two-year contract and will provide free Wi-Fi access at all Telstra-run hotspots.

Why would they not have released these data plans? I can see that with 3 telcos offering the iPhone in Australia, I may take a couple of days to assess which of the 3 I go with. No news yet of Vodafone or Optus pricing or plans
  • Reply 2 of 2
    surprisesurprise Posts: 12member
    It's a strategitic move by Telstra to force more information out of the competition and try to compete with their prices, the prices are already competeitive compared to many other plans. Optus and Vodafone will surely release more information concerning their pricing soon, Optus and Vodafone and also offering pre-paid accounts for the iPhone (special iPhone prepaid plans). No word on if Telstra is doing that.

Also I doubt that they will use the minutes scheme down here in Aus anyway. It's always been a cap on how much you spend and I don't think that they will change that anytime soon. Tho minutes are better value for money, Aus telcos arent.

Data is sure to be a bit expensive down here and i think that is the reason for such a low price plan at $30 from Telstra. The free iPhone deal is very smart move aswell, $100 bucks a month gets you a free 16GB iPhone which is probably minus a data plan. Altho all plans have unlimited Telstra Wi-Fi access.

I already have a few business lines with Telstra. I think the most attractive part of Telstra is their 3G network coverage.

EDIT: And it worked! Full Optus Pricing is now avalible... checking it out.... Expensive if I may say so, but still cheaper than some other phones